40 ~ She's Back

The next day flew by and we sat that night going over our plan.

"The land surrounding their pack is neutral, so they shouldn't be able to sense you until you are sure you are ready. Make sure to stay as close to the border as possible and-"

"Don't get caught," I interrupted. "Thank you for telling me twenty four times."

"I just-"

"Want to make sure I know the plan," I interrupted again, smiling. "We'll be fine, Syd."

"We just can't fail." She stated. I had noticed how determined she was, as she kept repeating the plan over and over. As much as I didn't like the idea of her being Sam's mate, I could tell she really cared about my brother. I watched her pace back and forth as she mumbled.

"We're gonna get him out... We're gonna get him out." She said repeatedly.

"Do you love him?" I asked. She stared at me blankly, thinking it over.

"Yea," she whispered. "Or at least I think I do." I smiled at her, not sure what to reply.

"Go to sleep," I instructed. Helen had made the two couches into beds, and Sydney nodded before pulling the sheet over her body and switching off the light on the table beside the couch. Pup was lying beside me, and I held her close to my body, trying to get rid of my nerves.

"Goodnight," I mumbled.

"Goodnight," Sydney replied.

The next morning we woke up to the sound of Helen's booming voice.

"C'mon, up we go!" She chanted. "We have an important day ahead of us!"

We got up and ate breakfast, feeding Pup some chicken.

I ate the piece of toast on my plate without speaking to anyone. I wasn't a morning person at all.

The way Sydney spoke about Sam made me a bit jealous. She had a mate who she could love and be with without problem, whereas I wished my mate would rot in hell.

The worst part was how much I missed him. I hated the feeling. I hated it so much because I shouldn't miss him. But all I could remember was him singing along to that song on the radio, and smiling at me when I made jokes. I missed the way his beautiful green eyes stared at me, like he never wanted to leave me. I missed his voice, especially when he told me when I was beautiful.

I miss him.

And I'm so fucking stupid for it.

No you're not. Nika said. He's our mate. We're supposed to miss him. He's our other half.

"Go to him." Sydney said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I asked.

"It's clear you're thinking about him." She explained. "So go."

"Are you crazy?" I asked. "We have to be ready for this evening."

"That's ages away," she said. "Just be back in a couple hours."

"But I told them I would take you with me."

"Just tell him I refused."

"What about Pup?"

"God dammit, Octavia! Just go! I'll take care of her." She ordered.

"All right, all right." I moaned. "Come find me if I'm not back within three hours." I kissed the whelp before taking off, not bothering to change as I new I would end up shedding the clothes anyway.