Eighteen. Her Sanity and His Uncertainties

I walked into the cafeteria, wringing my sweaty hands anxiously. I looked around and spotted Majesty and Kenzie with their heads together talking, what looked to be, urgently.

Paranoia overtook me in almost an exact instant.

What if Majesty had told Kenzie about what she heard in the bathroom yesterday, and they were now discussing different ways to break the news to my family so they could send me back to that godforsaken treatment center?

I had been avoiding my friends since I left the mall with Deacon yesterday for preciously that reason. I had ignored the hailstorm of phone calls they had been bombarding me with, and had intentionally made Deacon and I late this morning so we would miss homeroom, and I wouldn't have to face them.

I knew that despite my best efforts, I couldn't avoid them forever. I had to face them in hope I could do some damage control. I say this with no pride, but I happen to be a very skilled liar and manipulator when I need to be, so getting them to drop the matter shouldn't be too difficult.

I hope.

I took a deep breath and headed for the lunch line. I made my way though and tossed a chicken sandwich and a bottle of water on my tray. After making my purchase, I headed over to our table and sat down across from Majesty and Kenzie.

I smiled brightly and dropped my bag on the chair next to me. "Hi."

They looked up simultaneously and leaned away from each other, straightening up.

"Demi," Majesty smiled. "Hi."

"Hey," Kenzie greeted pleasantly, smiling. A smile that didn't touch her eyes.

"What's up?" I asked casually, unwrapping my sandwich.

"Nothing," Majesty shook her head.

A short silence settled over us.

"Where were you this morning?" Majesty asked, looking at me expectantly.

"Deacon was being slow this morning," I shrugged, picking my sandwich apart.

"Oh?" Kenzie asked, a smile still gracing her red painted lips. "And was Deacon the reason you didn't pick up your phone last night?"

Majesty pinned Kenzie with a hard look as my brain went into overdrive to attempt to make up a flyable excuse.

"I lost my phone," I blurted out.

Majesty lifted a dark eyebrow. "You lost your phone," she repeated.

"Yes," I nodded, cringing internally. Out of all the excuses. Now I wouldn't be able to bring my phone out around them. "I must have dropped it at the mall or something."

"Mhmm," Kenzie nodded, pulling out her own phone and tapping on it.

A couple of seconds passed before my phone started blaring my obnoxiously loud Ariana Grande ringtone from my book bag.

My heart sunk. I slowly reached into my bag and ended the call coming in from Kenzie.

"I really like that song," Kenzie said flatly, tossing her phone on the table. "Remind me to download it."

"I guess I just misplaced it," I attempted a smile. "Thanks for calling it. I was going to end up getting a new one when mine was just in my bag all alon-"

"Oh, Demi stop it," she snapped. "Do you take us for idiots?"

"Sometimes," I admitted.