Thirty Three. In Which She Forgives, Forgets, and Revokes

My hood was up and my sunglasses were on as I walked down the school hallway with a lowered head. So far, so good. Nobody had recognized me which I was thoroughly grateful for.

I was determined to put off the wandering stares and the lingering whispers, I knew I was doomed to face, for as long as I could, thanks to my not so little showdown with Aidan. The best possible way to do that would be to blend in as best as I could and just pray to God that my cover wasn't blo-

"DEMI!" Kenzie's voice screamed from somewhere down the hallway.

I slowly looked up to see my friend waving at me frantically from her spot near the water fountain down the hall. Majesty was at her side, leaning against one of the red painted lockers right by it.

"DEMI OVER HERE!"

I shut my eyes and the atmosphere change was almost immediate. I could practically hear my name became apart of the whispers of the student body, and that wasn't even me being dramatic.

I tore off my glasses and hood, and stomped over to my friends, ignoring the looks being thrown my way.

"Kenzie, what the hell?" I snapped, shoving her. "I was incognito! How did you even know it was me?"

"Because those are my sunglasses I let you borrow last July," she snatched them out of my hand and shoved them in her bag. "Besides, you're my best friend. I would be able to spot you in a sea of hooded figures and shaded eyes."

"Why are you incognito?" Majesty asked with an amused smile. Her arms around my body, pulling me into a hug. "It's nice to see you among the living and not locked in your room by the way."

"Thanks," I sighed, squeezing her back before dropping my arms. "And I was incognito so that I wouldn't be subjected to the mental abuse and harassment from my peers."

Kenzie pinned me with a look "Nobody's even talking about it anymo-"

"Demi!"

I turned around to see Mikayla and Tessa rushing their way over to where my friends and I stood.

"Hi-"

Mikayla threw her arms around me and pulled me into a bone crushing hug.

"Oh my god," I practically choked. "Hi, Kay."

"I was so worried about you!" She pulled back. Her pink lips turned down into a frown as she assessed me. "You disappeared for days after I found you in the bathroom. I'm glad to see you're back and....okay?"

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, I'm okay. I just wasn't feeling too well for a while."

"Good," she beamed. "I mean, not that you weren't feeling well, but that you're okay."

"So what's going on with you and Aidan?" Tessa interjected eagerly. She leaned forward causing her pin straight blonde hair to fall over her shoulders.

I smiled tightly ignoring the gut sinking feeling that ensued in my stomach. I gave Kenzie a look that clearly said: Nobody's talking about it, huh?

She pointedly looked away and hummed a tune to herself.

"Tess," Mikayla hit her friend's arm. "Don't be such a nosey bitch."

"I'm not being nosey," Tessa protested. "I just want to know."

"That's being nosey," Mikayla rolled her eyes.

"It's okay," I assured her before looking at Tessa. "Nothing's going on with me and...him. It was just a misunderstanding. Everything's fine."

"Oh," Tessa frowned. Her shoulders slumped, and she looked disappointed at the lack of juiciness in that piece of gossip. "That's it?"