Twenty Seven. Late Night Oaths

The song: Shut Up and Dance by WALK THE MOON ^^^^^ (media box)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I settled into my seat in Aidan's truck and buckled up. "This is different. Why no motorcycle?"

"It's too cold," Aidan shrugged, starting up the car. "I didn't want you to get sick or whatever."

"How sweet," I smiled and rested my head on the head rest. My smile slipped from my face when I suddenly recalled something. "Hey, is Briella okay being at home without you?"

"She's not home," he said, backing out of my driveway and speeding off down the street. "She's sleeping at a friend's house."

"Okay good," I nodded in relief. I then began studying the dark mark covering his eye. "How's your eye?"

"It's fine."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

"Really? Because it looks like it hurts."

"It doesn't hurt."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Why are you lying?"

"Why are you asking all these questions?" Aidan asked, sounding annoyed.

"I'm just concerned," I frowned. "You should probably treat it or something. Did you put ice on it?"

"Demi," he said, giving me a look that was half irritated, half amused. "Just because I don't have a mom doesn't mean you need to fill the void."

"I'm not trying to act like your mom," I said defensively. "I told you, I'm concerned. Am I allowed to be concerned Aidan?"

"There's absolutely no reason to be concerned," he assured me.

"What if I was sporting the black eye?" I raised my eyebrows. "What would you do?"

"I would beat the person up who gave you the black eye," he answered promptly, his eyes glued on the road.

I stared at him and tilted my head. "What if it was a girl?"

"I'd pay a girl to beat her up for me."

His answer was way too quick and thought out for my liking. Even if it was sweet...in an Aidan way.

"Are you indirectly telling me to go confront your dad?" I asked.

I was partially kidding, but mostly I was wondering if he was really dropping hints about me telling off his father.

Aidan glanced at me quickly a flash of anxiety and anger sparking in his brown eyes.

"No," he snarled. "I don't want you within ten miles of him, never mind confronting of him."

My eyes widened, and instinctively leaned away from Aidan. His temper flared up so quickly at times, it was like a constant case of whiplash. It was also kind of scary.

Aidan's angry expression melted instantly when I leaned away from him and in replacement was a look of regret and maybe some sadness.

I was beginning to think that me jokingly diagnosing him as bipolar in my mind wasn't too far off.

"I'm sorry," he said, sounding guilty. He held one of his hands for me to grab. "Sorry, Cupcake. I didn't mean to scare you."