Fifty. A Devil in the Dark

"Here ya go."

I looked down at the thick envelope Majesty had just slapped in the palm of my hand. My eyebrows raised as I examined the fancy looking thing.

"If this isn't a belated birthday present I don't want it."

"You greedy bitch," she brushed her hair over her shoulder and pinned me with a narrowed eyed look. "I gave you one last week. You know, on the week of your actual birth?"

"A second present would be greatly appreciated," I smiled sweetly.

"A new best friend would be greatly appreciated," she smiled back just as sweetly. "Preferably one that isn't a greedy bitch."

I laughed and flipped the envelope over to tear the seal open. "I'm just playing around."

"I'm not."

I stuck my tongue out and pulled out a decorated card, smiling in excitement when I saw the words 'Winter Ball' in big, fancy letters splayed across the top f the invitation.

"Oh, Maj! I don't know what to say," I fanned myself with the card and smiled at her. "How sweet of you to invite me."

"I've already revoked Kenzie's invite," she crossed her arms across her chest. "Don't make me revoke yours."

"Even if you did revoke mine," Kenzie loudly voiced, walking up and wrapping her arm around my waist. "Demi would bring me as her plus one. Right, babe?"

"Wrong," I sang. "Aidan is my plus one."

She gasped loudly, her hand flying to her chest. "What happened to sisters before misters? Chicks before dicks?"

"The mental image of Aidan in a suit is what happened," I smirked.

Majesty sighed and fanned herself with her stack of envelopes. "That'll be a sight for sore eyes."

"There's a word for people like you two," Kenzie withdrew her arm from me and narrowed her eyes. "Disloyal hoebags."

"That's two words," Majesty held up two fingers and lifted an eyebrow. "Remind us again why you aren't valedictorian, Kenz?I mean you're clearly just, like, so smart."

Kenzie flipped her off, and I laughed, looking down to study the invitation in my hands.

Every year Dr. Dillion and his wife hosted an annual Winter Ball at their ridiculously huge house. The term house was being used very lightly as it was two times the size of even Chase's home. Thanks to Majesty's dad being a neurologist, and her mom being one of the top attorneys in the state, the family was pretty well off.

Anyway, the purpose of the ball was to raise awareness and money for a different charity each year. This year's chosen charity was "Canines for Disabled Children."

I read the charity aloud and pursed my lips. "Does this mean the gift bags will include some type of dog?"

"Demi, you are a moron," Majesty flicked my nose.

"Ow," I shrunk away and pushed her lightly. "That hurt."

"So do your stupid questions."