Chapter 14

Dedicated to ellieotaylor for commenting on chapters and voting.

................................................................

"Hey Gabs, wait up." I hear Adam call. I spin around, grinning at him. School has just finished, the grounds bubbling with students. I've just had double French. My brain aches. Adam jogs up to me, dressed in his football kit.

"Hey." I greet waving at him. "How was practice?" I ask. We begin walking down the road together. His face is bright red. Lucky devil. He gets to miss last lesson for practice.

"It was really good. Saved all the goals, that your boy hit me with." He chuckles happily. "What are you doing tonight?There's a new film on in the cinema, wanna go and watch it?" I nod my head eagerly. I don't care what the film is. It will be nice to hang out with Adam again, like old times.

"I have tons of homework, so of course I'm free. Let's go and see that movie." Adam chuckles. My biology teacher has just loaded us with a 10,000 word essay on evolution, due for the Thursday. I'll do it tomorrow night. I slide my hand into his. "What time does it start?"

"Five. Fancy going back to yours? After the movie you can sleep over at mine if you want."

"Sounds good. Let's stop by the store and buy some popcorn before we go. Then when we eat it we can have the satisfaction of achievement." I smirk. We've always snuck in popcorn to the theatre. Once we tried ice cream and it exploded in Adams coat. That was a fun one to explain to his mum.

"You're so bad ass. Careful the police don't stop you." We both laugh. I shake my head, giggling. It feels so easy with Adam. Its the only time that I feel that I can be my full self. We already know each other like the back of our hands. No secrets. Walking home together reminds me off what it used to be like before the fight.

We make casual conversation all the way to my house. Talking about practice and the upcoming games. We walk up the porch steps talking loudly laughing and chuckling. I kick my shoes off as I walk in leaving them wherever they land. I dump my bag down on the floor and stalk along the hallway and into the kitchen. Adam follows suit except leaving his shoes in a neat pile by the door, his bag hanging on a peg.

"Do you want a drink?" I ask. He nods jumping up to sit on the granite counter like we used to when we were kids.

"Yep. Practice was tiring." He pops the p. "Coach was drilling us like hell today. Not his usual self. I guess his wife's pregnancy is really getting to him." He sighs.

"Juice?" I offer pulling out a carton of tropical juice.

"My favourite!" He exclaims, like a little kid. He reaches into the cupboard behind me and pulls out two glasses.

"Oh. I know." I pour the juice into the glasses, the orangey liquid splashing around. He downs his glass in seconds. I gaze at him in shock. Wow, he must be thirsty. "More?" He nods eagerly and I pass him the carton. He pulls himself another two glasses. I giggle.

"Me. You. Table football. Now." I holler sliding the two glasses in the dishwasher. I drag him after me, pulling him off of the counter and into the games room.

"Are you sure you wanna do that. Let's remember who won last time." Adam comments pointing to himself with his two thumbs and smirking. God he's so cocky.

"Oh please I let you win." I retort, making eye contact. A weak attempt of intimidation I suppose.

"Like hell you did! Oh and the time before that. We were 10 and you cried because you lost." Adam shouts back laughing his head off and imitating crying sounds and mouthing baby.