Chapter 25

The bell rings. I slide all of my things into my bag and stand up.

"Ella!" I hear my tutors scratchy voice call. I spin around and look at her. "I'm going to need you to stay a moment." I nod my head and walk towards her, Adam standing by me protectively and confused. "Is your name Ella, Mr Taylor?" Adam sighs shoots me a glance and then walks out of the door. Turning to the right and stopping, I can only see his shoulder.

She waits till the rest of the pupils have dispersed before turning to look at me, a disappointed look in her eye.

"Look Ella..." She trails off. "During our last..." She tries to find a word. "Meeting, we talked about your academic achievements and obstacles that are clouding the way. By obstacles I mean, Luke Moore. I don't take any offence but you don't seem to have listened to me. I thought i was quite clear."

"You were miss, but I don't understand why I must? I've picked my grades up."

"Yes that is evident, however I'm not the only person who seems to be concerned. For example the headmaster doesn't think this is a good path. Luke has a reputation and I know that you think that he'll change for you, but honey he won't." Her harsh words slap me across the face.

"That's too harsh miss."

"Maybe it was, so I will give you a final chance before I drag your mother into this. I know what Luke did to Adam, and I know that secretly your upset about it. How could he do that? Why? All of those questions. You can't forget that Adam is your best friend and not so long ago you hated Luke. I know that boys like him can be sweet but, Ella you have to look at the bigger picture. You are going to go to a top college. Please listen this time, don't waste your time and drag yourself down with this boy. There are several better matches for you. Do I need to refer this matter to the headmaster or do you understand?"

"I understand miss, but I don't think I can just break up with him."

"Should I have a conversation with him?"

"No no. He deserves to hear it from me."

"You're doing the right thing Ella, you will now be able to go to your top college, have a happy job and get good grades. When you reflect you will know that you have been wise." I nod and walk out of the class. Watery tears pound my eyes threatening to cascade down my face.

"Hey Gabs what's up?" I hear Adam say I turn to look at him and his face instantly crashes. He opens his arms out to hug me. I fold into them. I've been brainwashed. I sob into his chest, his shirt growing damp.

Just then I'm ripped from his arms. I'm pushed into another hard chest, the familiar smell of cologne meeting me. I snuggle into in instinctively. Then her words come soaring into mind. I squirm in his arms and take a step back. I look up to see Luke's hurt expression.

"You need to leave me alone Luke. You've kicked Adam off of the team. You've been blowing me off repetitively and now my mums being dragged into it if I don't break up with you. I have to get good grades and I must go to a good college, I can't have any distractions."

"Ella whatever she said isn't true. We're both getting good grades and we work well together. You've been brainwashed. Please don't do this." He says his voice breaking at the end. More and more tears flood down my face.

"I'm sorry Luke. My mum can't be dragged into this I don't see her anyway. You need to leave me alone."

"Baby? Ella? Please!" I shake my head.

"No Luke damn it!"

"Ok that's it. Luke lay off her, she's hysterical. I'm going to take her home." I hear Adam say he grabs my hand and drags me down the corridors.