Tongue Tied

"Don't leave me tongue tied,
Don't wave no goodbye"

***

The thing about being bisexual," Grayson said, pointing a half-eaten fry at each of them in turn. "Is that you get shit from everyone, no matter what their beliefs are. Like, you have those people that do accept you fully and don't judge you at all. But the majority response is that you don't exist, because heaven forbid you like both genders."

Phil laughed at his words but still nodded in agreement.

"And what would to know about that, Gray?" Elliot asked, twisting his phone in his hands. "You told us two weeks ago you were pan."

"The struggle is the same." Gray replied. "We're the outliers because our preference in partners isn't fixed. I think I can argue on behalf of my bi and asexual brothers and sisters."

The day had dragged on almost unbearably slow, and Phil was glad when lunch finally rolled around so he could have a break. Or, at least, try to. Ellie and Gray were always arguing about one thing or another, and their constant back and forth was a major distraction for Phil. And usually Chris was the mediator during these times, but he hadn't showed up yet, and Phil was starting to get a headache. He didn't have the power to shut them up.

He hadn't seen Dan all day either, and his mood was quickly turning sour. He still had half the day left, of sitting through classes, pretending to listen to whatever the teacher was lecturing about and trying not to actually fall asleep at his desk.

And now he was sitting alone with his arguing friends who showed no sign of getting any quieter.

"How would that even work? You can't just shove a banana in there without it possibly exploding." Elliot complained. They had switched from their earlier topic faster than Phil could keep up with.

"It doesn't matter how well it fits, as long as you-"

"I'm gonna go look for Chris." Phil said, interrupting whatever Grayson was trying to explain. The two boys barely spared him a glance, and he left with a sigh.

It wasn't unlike Chris to skip lunch, he preferred hanging out in one of the empty classrooms with a few other people so the madness of the cafeteria  didn't make him blow. His temper was a force to be reckoned with, and pretty much everyone in the school knew that. It was easier and a lot safer.

But it was hard finding him because they liked to switch hiding spots every now and then. It was kind of against the rules to be anywhere besides the cafe or the library without explicit permission, and they couldn't risk getting caught.

Phil didn't even know why he was actively seeking out Chris's presence, it just seemed a better alternative to... everything else.

It seemed to be his lucky day though, because just as he was rounding the corner on the second floor, he ran into his friend face first, almost falling to the ground on impact. Chris grabbed his biceps to steady both of them.

"Awesome." Chris said, sounding winded as if he'd been running. "I was just looking for you."

Phil raised an eyebrow. "For what, exactly?" It was never usually a good thing when Chris was 'looking for him'.

Chris looked around them, scoping the empty halls for anyone that could possible eavesdropping. Phil was about to start questioning him again, but never got a chance before Chris was dragging him down the hall a few meters and pushing him into a closet. It was dark, but a second later, a light flipped on, revealing they were cramped into one of the custodian closets, filled with dirty mops and brooms. Phil stared at Chris in shock.