Miracle Mile

"I feel the air upon my face, forget the mess I'm in
Hold me again, don't count mistakes, I lost track of them"

***

"So why do you and Grayson hate each other?" Phil asked. He wasn't usually someone who dug into other people's business, but as of right now, he sort of hated not knowing things about people he was close to. And he was close to Holden, right? They'd been working together for a few weeks now, and they could hold a decent conversation; they weren't strangers, at least.

Holden looked up at him from the textbook laying open on the table. "What?"

"You and Grayson," he said again, tapping his pencil against the tabletop. "Every single time you two are in the same general area, it's like World War III erupts. Why do you hate him?"

"I don't hate him," Holden said with a shrug that was nowhere near convincing. "It's a...mild dislike, I suppose. A mutual one, too."

Phil flipped the page in his notebook. "Well, I can see why he would hate you," he said, and ignored the bitch face Holden threw him, "but I want to know the reason. I mean, he is my friend. I should know these things."

Truthfully, it wasn't his place to demand the information, if Holden didn't want to share it. It had nothing to do with him, but he was curious and too persistent for his own good.

"You know, now that I think about it," Holden said pensively, "there isn't a real reason." Phil raised an eyebrow at him in disbelief. "I mean, he is annoying and loud. And he doesn't know how to take a joke. And he's way too overdramatic."

"And that's why you don't like him?"

"It's the kind of personality only a mother could love."

Phil laughed and shook his head. "You're such an asshole."

"Alright, there was this one time, in like Year 3 or something--"

"Wait, you've known him since primary school?"

"Not really knew him," Holden shrugged. "Just had the same class. Anyway, it was Valentine's Day, right, and we were doing some stupid card exchanging activity, where we had to bring cards and stuff the whole class. And Grayson walks in, calm and cocky as he's always been, and he's handing out his cards and just...skips me. He doesn't give me one, doesn't even look in my direction. That's a good enough reason, right?"

Phil stared at him in disbelief. "You're being serious? Some primary school grudge, that's the reason?"

"As a kid, that was a very triggering moment for me," Holden said, holding a hand over his heart melodramatically. Phil flipped him off. "Okay, so I don't have a very solid reason for not liking him. But he doesn't either, maybe you should interrogate him."

Phil shrugged and didn't have the will to tell him that him and Grayson weren't on such great speaking terms either.

***

"Alright, first official band meeting in, like, fucking two months." Chris sat down across from Phil, leaning back against the wall and staring around the room expectantly.

The four of them were spread out across the floor of their practice room; they hadn't been all in the same room in a long time, and the awkwardness of it was surprising. They'd never been so reserved with each other before. But Gray and Elliot were on opposite sides of the room, and Phil was trying not to draw too much attention to himself, and they were being so stupid.