WILD

"You make my heart shake
Bend and break
But I can't turn away
And it's driving me wild"

***

The next couple of weeks passed without much to call worthy, and Phil was beginning to grow tiresome. He'd almost come to miss the drama that had been pursuing him before, but it all seemed to have vanished after the TCE party.

Granted, him and Chris still weren't on great speaking terms, but he'd begun to receive nods and noncommittal noises in response to his questions, so they at least weren't completely ignoring each other. And he never thought he would think it, but he really missed the way they'd been before. It was almost unreal, how little Chris actually interacted with him these days, when they'd been closest friends for almost five years.

But as the days got shorter and colder, he soon encountered a new and much more aggressive problem.

Christmas break was coming, and with it, a pile of homework from every single one of his teachers and absolutely no will or motivation to complete it. And like that wasn't bad, his mum was now spending a lot more time at home, and her constant monitoring left him on edge, to the point of him spending as much time as possible out of the house.

But on the bright side, Dan's parents had left on a last minute vacation to America for a week, and had (reluctantly) left their son behind.

"Why don't I come here more often, again?" Phil asked, kicking his shoes off at the front door and following Dan into the kitchen. His own house was a lot more cluttered and mismatched, and the spaciousness of Dan's home was like a long exhale after holding your breath for too long.

"Because your bed is bigger," Dan said slyly, taking down two mugs and beginning to make hot chocolate. He had a good point.

Phil watched him move around the kitchen, hopping up to sit on the counter, his legs swinging. It was peacefully silent between them, the kind of quiet that came when you had nothing to say but you were so comfortable with another person, that it didn't matter. You just liked being around each other.

Moments like this were such a welcome break from their usual chaotic lives. Between the bands and school and their parents, it was lucky when they even got a chance to kiss, let alone have an entire afternoon together. But things seemed to be slowing down around them as winter approached, with much less to worry about and more time on their hands.

"So, how have you been?" Dan questioned, coming to stand next to him and handing him one of the steaming mugs. Phil took it gently, with a small smile.

"Um, alright, I guess," he said. "Bit boring, actually. Haven't had practice all this week, and I haven't got much else to do. Been spending a lot of time with my mum, really."

"Wow, desperate times, huh?"

"Definitely," Phil chuckled. "It's not as bad as you'd think, I learned how to crochet yesterday."

Dan laughed into his cup. "You gonna make me something?" He asked in a very amused tone.

"Well, I mean, I can't exactly make distinguishable things yet, mostly just lumps of string."

"Oh, I'd love a lump of string."

"I hate you," Phil said, kicking him gently in the leg.

"Why?" Dan asked, sarcastically concerned. "I fully support you and your stringy lumps, I'm trying to be a good boyfriend."

"Okay, well, how about you be a good boyfriend and not talk about my stringy lumps anymore."

"I'll try and contain myself," Dan said unconvincingly with a smile still playing on his lips. "Alright, so, I have a question."