But It's Better If You Do

"But I'm afraid that I
Well, I may have faked it
And I wouldn't be caught dead in this place"

***

If there was one good thing that had come from the shitstorm he'd been through lately, it was that Grayson and Elliot had managed to shakily repair their friendship. Or, they were talking to each other again, at least. And it was good, Phil was glad they had stopped being so stupid and made up, but it also meant that Gray was once again more busy being googly-eyed about his crush than most everything else.

So now he was truly by himself. Well, him and his bitter thoughts.

He didn't want to think about Dan and PJ, and told himself constantly not to, but that only served to make him think of it more. They sure as hell kissed dirty, no imagining what else they were capable of. They probably fucked like animals.

But that didn't mean he himself was any different. He'd done the exact same thing, with Grayson, but he never did it so...publicly. And never around Dan, fuck; that would make him nothing but a petty dick.

He was sitting in the cafeteria, surrounded by his band mates plus Audrey but paying them no attention as he glared across the room where Dan was sitting much too close to PJ, smiling at him as he talked. They would make a great fucking couple, wouldn't they? And they wouldn't have to hide it, wouldn't fight about it every goddamn day and make a mess of everything.

And he just wasn't in a bad enough mood, was he, or maybe karma really was a fucking bitch, because he had to sit there and watch them kiss and smile at each other like stupid fucking honeymooners, and he could do nothing about it.

He wasn't a memorable guy, he supposed.

"Why do we hate them?" Phil asked, biting the words out through his clenched teeth, looking over at Chris sharply. "TCE; why are they our sworn enemies or whatever?"

Chris gave him a blank look, obviously caught off guard by the question, but shrugged and looked back down at his tray. "Does it matter?"

The tension that suddenly appeared around them was thick enough to suffocate him, but he didn't care. Grayson and Elliot were giving him looks, telling him to back off, but why should he? Almost two years now, he'd been told to hate this other band, for no valid reason, and whenever he asked about it, he was shut down. He just wanted things to make sense, because he was starting to go crazy.

"Yeah, it does," Phil said. "I'm not gonna sit here and conform to this monarchy you call a band. I don't have a reason to hate them; so what's stopping me from just going over there and talking to them? Besides you."

"Nothing," Chris said, just as sharply; he could see the anger rising in his expression. "Unless you want to stay in this band--"

"You would seriously cut me out just for talking to them?" Phil asked in disbelief. "You're a fucking psycho, do you know that? Why do you care so much about them, do you get off on it or something? Treating them like they're the worst thing that's ever happened to you?"

"Shut up--"

"You sound so pathetic sometimes, ranting and raving about them all the time, like you don't have a life besides downgrading them--"

"Shut up!" The entire table went silent, and even a few people at the table next to them paused for a second before dismissing them. It was such a stupid thing to think, but Phil felt almost victorious in making Chris this worked up about it, after avoiding the subject for so long.