Harlem

"Makin' a movie on the couch with a flip phone
Just like you, like I, like fingers in your mouth"

***

Chris wasn't speaking to him.

Whether it was his usual pissed off attitude at pretty much anyone he made contact with, or because of the particular uneasiness that surrounded the two them after Wednesday, Phil just wanted it to be over. He hated arguing with anyone at all in the first place, and there was enough tension between them to begin with, they could seriously do without ignoring each other completely. Or, rather, Chris ignoring him and Phil not doing anything to attempt to change it. He had tried talking to him, but it was mostly met with unreadable expressions and monosyllabic responses, and the fact that he was going to be staying at his house for the next three days didn't exactly help.

Here he was, just getting out of an argument with Dan, and now him and his best friend weren't speaking to each other. His life had never been so dramatic before.

And he tried his hardest to cope with it, and not let it affect his life in any major way, but he was too damn empathetic for that. It got in the way of their practices, which had started getting more frequent and grueling than before, and he could barely survive the school day. Who else was he supposed to talk to? Elliot and Grayson were closer to each other than either Phil or Chris, so they were usually too invested in their own conversations to think about letting him join. And it wasn't like he could just freely go up to Dan and hang out with him.

That's not to mention, Dan was still being hesitant with him in the first place.

They had resolved things, mostly, and were pretty much back to normal, but now they both had that thought in the back of their minds. They had finally realized, and voiced out loud, the concerns that came with their secret relationship. And while they had agreed to just move on with it, and not worry about it any longer, Phil knew that Dan still didn't like it. And, well, neither did he.

Because he saw it now, he saw why Dan didn't like keeping them a secret. He would look around him, at school and at home and during practice, and he would just suddenly realize that not a single person knew that he had a boyfriend. He's watched enough movies and read enough stories to know there was supposed to be some kind of prideful feeling at getting to show everyone that you had a partner, someone you were committed to, and he didn't have that. And it left a really bad taste in his mouth sometimes.

So his boyfriend was being distant with him, and his best friend wasn't even close to trying to resolve any issues with him, and Phil felt completely useless to the world.

As of right now, he had found refuge in hanging out with Grayson and Elliot, who definitely didn't mind spending time with him, but they weren't really on the same wavelength. And Phil hadn't recently been in the mood for their usual outgoing and slightly unusual activities.

"I told you to stop drawing penises on my face," Elliot complained, sitting cross legged on the floor in front of a mirror, rubbing his face with the sleeve of his hoodie. For the last twenty minutes, him and Grayson had been drawing all over each other, while Phil watched and contemplated his life like the low-key angst ridden teenager that he was.

"You cannot give me a marker," Grayson explained, trying not to laugh at his friend, "and expect me not to draw a penis on your face."

They were always like this, playful and carefree, and Phil had a hard time thinking of them ever going through any kind of hardships. Not that his personal problems about his boyfriend were exactly 'hardships', he just couldn't imagine how they would react, being in the same situation. He envied their innocent ambiance, wished he could be so worry-free all the time.