MakeDamnSure

"A long night spent with your most obvious weakness
You start shaking at the thought you are everything I want
'Cause you are everything I'm not"

***

Phil's parents weren't hard to get along with.

Quite the opposite, actually, or maybe more sideways than that. There were tough times, arguments and disagreements and even a few yelling matches that he would never admit were his own fault, but in the most simplest of terms, they were bearable. If he didn't get in their way or draw any attention to himself, and they didn't pry too deeply into his personal life, things were easy. They coexisted, in the least rejective way possible.

They had intimate moments, conversations so that they weren't completely out of the loop with each other, but they were best at keeping to themselves.

Of course, that routine was temporarily put on hold when Phil walked into the kitchen Tuesday morning with hickies trailing down his throat. They weren't new, he'd been hiding them for a few days now, and with the thin ice that him and Dan were on right now, they definitely hadn't been made recently. He'd just forgotten to wear a higher collared shirt today, and his mum had zeroed in on them instantly.

"Didn't tell us you were with someone," she said, too fake nonchalant to be believable, and when Phil gave her a confused look, she just pointed to his neck with a sly smirk that made him flush and cover the skin, uselessly now.

"S'not serious," he said with a shrug, and when he really thought about it, those words were really fucked up. When had he become so good at dismissing a year long relationship with one of the most important people in his life? Especially to his parents. "I thought you'd rather not hear the details."

"What's that mean, 'not serious'?" She asked, completely disregarding that last part. "Don't tell me you're gonna be breaking some innocent person's heart."

"What? Of course not," he exclaimed, wondering where the hell she would get that idea. "I mean, just, nothing to be too excited about. Just a...guy."

Just a guy he hadn't spoken to in three days. A guy who probably hated him right now, and who was going to most likely dump him some time soon. A guy he really liked and hated keeping a secret like this, but he didn't even know their current status, so he couldn't start spilling all his feelings now if they didn't mean anything in the long run.

He felt so damn guilty about what he'd said last week, but seeing his friend humiliated like that....

He knew Chris could take care of things himself, and didn't need Phil's help in any way, but he couldn't help it. It was like...hell, he didn't know fucking know what it was like, but he'd feel really bad if he hadn't defended his friend at all. Dan had just been his unintentional target, and now Phil was just an asshole who didn't know how to apologize without sounding like a needy dick.

"A cute one?" His mum cut in to his anxious thoughts, smiling against the top of her coffee mug with a wink, and Phil shook his head.

"I'm actually not going to talk about this with you," he said dismissively. "I should actually be getting to school, I'll see you later, love you."

He kissed her cheek, grabbed his bag and was out the door before she could say anything in return, breathing out a sigh of relief when he was a safe distance away.