The Sharpest Lives

'"Cause I've spent the night dancing
I'm drunk, I suppose
If it looks like I'm laughing
I'm really just asking to leave"

***

"So you and Chris are the ones who started the band?" Audrey asked, leaning forwards across the table curiously. She had to speak loudly to be heard over the crowd that packed the food court, hundreds of conversations going on all at once. Phil shrugged from where he was sitting across from her.

"I mean, we were the first ones in it, yeah," he said, tapping his fingers against the table habitually. "Didn't really think of it as much of a band until Grayson joined."

He didn't know exactly how, but he'd ended up spending the afternoon third-wheeling with Audrey and Elliot at the mall. It was surprising, because he usually didn't like going to the mall at any given time, and he definitely didn't like watching his friend suck face with a girl in various shops, but he had nothing more entertaining to spend his time with.

And Audrey was really fucking interesting, despite all the jealousy-fueled spite that Gray held against her. Honestly, Phil had at first thought she was one of those groupies, who dated one of the band members just to get into concerts for free or whatever, but she was much more intelligent and open-minded than that. Which was a very good thing, in his opinion. She actually liked Elliot for him, unlike some of his past flings, and her love for their music was just a bonus.

"Grayson's the lead singer, right?" She asked. Phil hoped she never found out about Gray's blinded animosity towards her, because it would be really awkward for everyone. "He's really good, I love his vocal range, it's a fucking godsend."

Phil laughed and nodded; everyone loved Grayson's voice, it was sort of inevitable.

"Flirting with my girlfriend behind my back?"

Elliot sat next to Audrey with a mock angry glare at Phil that made him roll his eyes. They were cute together, but sometimes it was disgusting.

The couple started their own conversation, leaving Phil to his own devices, which was slightly counter-productive; they'd invited him, and now he was being ignored. Not that he minded, being in the middle of their vomit-worthy escapades sounded less than appealing.

They seemed pretty happy together, though they'd only been dating for a few weeks now. He sure as hell hoped him and Dan had never been this 'cuddly', but they genuinely liked each other, and that was good. Phil was glad at least one of his friends was happy.

After another few minutes of watching them canoodle so publicly and voraciously, Phil decided it would be better to leave them on their own. He liked hanging out with them, but there was only so much he could handle in one hour. They didn't protest his leaving.

He thought that would be the most eventful part of his day, but no such luck.

Dan was sitting on his front steps when he got home, curled in on himself in an effort to not get soaked by the rain, which was steadily getting worse. The hoodie he was wearing was already spotted with water, but it didn't seem to bother him much. He looked up at the sound of Phil's car door slamming, and stood to go and meet him.

"Hey," Phil said, not exactly sure why he's here, but not questioning it too much. Sure, it had been a short while since they'd seen each other, and maybe they're last encounter wasn't so friendly, but Phil was ready to move past it, and he was hoping that Dan was too. "You'll catch a cold or something, standing out in the rain like this."

Dan nodded with a strained smile. "Yeah, I just...you weren't here, so I waited. I wanted to talk to you."

"Okay," Phil moved past him, hoping to get out of the cold rain, at least. "You wanna come inside? Dry off and we can-"