Chapter Thirty Eight

Mark and I decided to take things slowly. He said he was willing to wait.

Last night, when I tried seducing him, he stopped me. Instead, he brought me back to my room, gave me a kiss on the forehead before saying good night.

Nothing happened to us.

He said he wanted to straighten things up too.

Mark is a wealthy man. When we talked about the revocation of his license he told me it will make his dad happy, simply because he will need to do something about their business. It was also the reason why he can afford going through community services than serving in clinics for a pay.

We managed to be civil, although I was embarrassed with my act.

When I arrived, I knew I should not, but I went back to my pad. I just needed to rest for awhile.

My shoulders were falling already, too tired from the trip.

When I opened the main door I was surprised to see the trail of candles making a small pathway towards the dining area. The aroma of my favorite vanilla scent was filling my nose as a slow mellow music play.

I do not know if I was surprise to see Vince coming out from the dining or not.

He was wearing a simple white polo shirt, with those beautiful apologetic eyes and a hand full of flowers.

I stood still at the door, as he walk his way towards me.

"Honey..." He called. I do not know if it was the reflection of the candles or his eyes were teary.

He handed me the flowers, I looked down at them, then looked up back at him.

I had a lot of thoughts in my mind. A lot.

His shoulders fell and he put the flowers at the side. He took a step forward, making our bodies dangerously close with each other.

He held both my hands and pulled them up to his face. I was like a robot doing nothing but look at him.

"Honey please... Don't do this... The divorce... I c-can't." His voice croaked.

He reached for my face and in a moment our lips locked.

I do not know what to feel. My mind was telling me to push him away, but my body was responding to his kisses. I'll be a hypocrite if I say I do not miss him, that I love him no more.

It has just been a month, a month that every single day I unconsciously wait for him to go after me and ask for a chance. A month that I cry myself asleep as I look through the news of what was happening to him...

A month that he was mending Katherine than I.

He can never let go of her, that was the lesson I learned. He cannot just drop her like a hot potato.

And when the time comes that she's happy again, he will come back to me, to settle with the second best.

I gently pushed him away, not knowing my tears were falling already. This had been a one great roller coaster ride.

But the roller coaster ride has to end.

The moment I kissed Mark last night, I ascertained myself that I will have to forget about Vince.

Mark is my comfort zone. We are in the same field, no effort needed to even research for what was the other's interest. We've been towards one goal of helping other people.