Part Seven

We reached the counter to check in. Cabir was in front of me. He said something to the attendant and he nodded. When I presented my ticket to the attendant he smiled at me and said," mam your ticket has been upgraded to business class."
Wait who did that? The event organising team gave us the economic class ticket. I didn't even plan on getting an upgrade. I would have managed. Wait its either Manik or Cabir. They both were standing together looking at me, I looked at them in anger. They both get on my nerves at times. Nine hours flight I had to deal with these morons.
The attendant was saying something. I looked at him and smiled. He gave me my boarding pass and said,"mam that's the way to VIP lounge."
I politely said,"thank you."
He smiled back. I walked towards both of them and went past them ignoring them completely. What will other participants think? How can these two be so stupid?
I went to the waiting area and took out my iPod. I was listening to songs when swati came and sat beside me. I took off my headphones to be polite. She was continuously blabbering about something or the other.
Thanks to the airport authorities that they announced our flight. We went to the gate and showed our passes. I was just not going to sit with Swati.
We entered the plane.  to my worst fears my seat was with someone I didn't want to sit with.
Manik was sitting right next to my seat. What the fuck! It must be him who would have done this on purpose. He smiled at me and I looked at him in disbelief. The cocky bastard that he is. I was going to explode with anger on him but then I looked around. I saw Cabir sitting with swati two seats back. I went to them and said,"swati can we switch seats?"
Swati happily agreed and didn't even ask anything.
I sat on my seat. I was still not talking to Cabir. I took out the magazine and started flipping the pages. Cabir too kept quite. That was the best for him because I could have shouted at him right there. After a while plane took off and flight attendant came to us asked for food. We were having our good when Cabir finally broke the silence and said,"Nandini why did you come here?"
How can he forget about my little problem? I looked at him, giving him *are you out of your mind look*
He looked at me for a minute, then his expressions changed. He said,"ohh that. Nandini if you sleep here then also he'll be able to hear you."
I said,"fine. I won't sleep."
He looked at me in disbelief. He said irritably,"Nandini come on. Till how long will you run from your problems? The Nandu we know never runs from things she faces them. I've always supported all your decisions, lied to my friends about you. Nandini I've seen my two best friends suffer. Its enough now."
"Hahaha Manik suffered! Right? I can't believe this shit Cabir", I said.
Cabir got even more irritated. He said,"enough Nandini. I'm tired of hiding the truth from you both. He now knows the truth that we've been friends all this while, now its time for you too to know one more truth. I've always wanted to tell you this but you wouldn't listen to anything related to Manik. Truth is Nandini that Manik have always loved you."
I was angry with Cabir. How dare he make fun of my emotions? Before I could say anything he continued saying," Manik did all that for Dhruv. Dhruv was in love with you. Manik thought you deserved someone better like Dhruv so that night he was lying to you. He was just doing this for Dhruv."
My world stopped for me at that moment. I couldn't breath for a few seconds. Manik was in love with me! He is in love with me even now. But was I ready to love him? He did all this for his friend, but what about me? Does my love deserve this? Why Manik? I just got up from my seat and went to Manik. I stood there. Swati and Manik looked at me. Swati smiled and said,"you must have talked to Cabir. I'll go back now."
I sat there. My whole body was numb. It felt that someone has punched all the air out of me. Love? Do lovers do this to each other? But it must have been difficult for him too.
Just then I felt someone shaking me. I looked beside me. Manik was looking at me worriedly. He was shaking my hand. I looked at him and mumbled,"you've loved me all this while. You've loved me that night too."
Manik sighed. He said,"so you know. Nandini I've been trying to tell you this. You wouldn't just listen."
I looked away from him and started looking out of the window in the night sky. It was all black outside, so was my life. All black. I regret having survived that accident. Why did God let me live? To face all this? I'm tired. I'm tired of all this.
I held Manik's hand without looking at him and dug my nails on his hand. Taking out all my anger. Manik was wincing with pain but it wasn't as hard as the pain I was going through. I didn't care. I just mumbled,"I hate you Manik Malhotra. I hate you more than you can even Imagine."
Manik quietly said,"Nandini you can take out all your aggression in whichever way you want. But Nandini i Did it for my friend."
My anger rose to a very high level. I said,"oh shut up Manik. I don't give a fuck about whatever you have to say. I kept a straw alive in my heart that one day you'll come back. I loved you all this while but today I hate you Manik Malhotra. I'm done with you."
Manik said,"but Nandini."
I said,"I said shut up. I don't want to shout but I don't want to hear your voice. Do you get it?"
He nodded. Tears were constantly flowing out of my eyes. I could feel Manik's gaze on me. I can never trust this person. He'll leave me whenever he wants. I do get it he loves his friends, I do understand why he did all this but he never respected me. What about me? What about my choice? What about my love? I can never let a man be in my life who can't respect me forget about love.
I felt myself drifting to sleep. I can't sleep but I can't let my eyes from shutting down.
The usual images that have haunted me last five years started playing in front of my eyes. I said,"Manik please don't go....... Manik you're kidding right? ......... Manik you can't do all this just for a revenge."
I felt someone shaking me again. I opened my eyes. Shit! Why did I sleep?
I heard Cabi telling Manik,"she gets this nightmare whenever she sleeps. That's why she didn't sit with you."
I guess they didn't notice that I've waken up. I stood up and went to the washroom. I washed my face and went back.
Nandini how can you be so careless. You can't show your weaknesses to anyone. Damn how did I let this happen?
I went back and sat next to Manik. Manik took my hand and placed it on his hand. He said,"Nandini dig those nails. I deserve it."
I looked at him and then pulled back my hand. I said,"no Manik."
He looked at me with confusion. He asked,"why?"
I looked into his eyes. I said,"because you deserve even worse."
He looked down with guilt. Next two hours of the journey went in silence. Both of us were weeping silently.
The plane landed. I rushed out of the plane. Without looking at Manik. I held Cabir's arms because right now only he can support me. I was so weak that I needed someone's support. We went out through VIP exit. There was media all over. They thrusted a mic towards me and said,"mam are you Cabir's girlfriend?"
Wait. Hahahahahah. Don't they know he is gay?
I wanted to laugh but I kept silent and kept walking with Cabir. Cabir said,"no she is a contestant. We were travelling together. That's it. Now will you clear our way."
Media then saw Manik coming out and all of them rushed towards him. Cabir and I quickly jumped in our car and went away.
I was finally back to Mumbai. Mumbai-the city of dreams.
Cabir said,"Nandini the competition starts day after tomorrow till then you'll live at my place."
I nodded. Chacha and chachi now live in Delhi. Chacha got a transfer so they went there. I plan on visiting them too.
We reached the building. Cabir has a huge duplex sea facing apartment. There were five bedrooms. The place was huge and beautiful. The sea from his place looked really beautiful. I stood near the big glass wall.
I turned around and saw Aliya, Dhruv, Mukti and Navya standing there. Aliya was the first one who came up and hugged me. I was shocked. Mukti smirked at my expressions. She said,"Nandini didn't expect this right?"
I nodded in shock. Aliya said,"Nandini I can't thank you enough. If you wouldn't have been there I would have never realised who my true love is."
I looked at her with confusion. Obviously I'll be confuesed. Who was her love?
Aliya said,"Nandini you made me realise Manik was just my infatuation. Dhruv is my love. He liked you and to get you both closer I didn't realise when I fell for him. "
I smiled at her.
Mukti smiled and said,"Nandini I'll never mistreat you ever again. In fact I respect you. What you did for Cabir before going back was commendable. I must say you were very gutsy. You didn't only punish Harshad for Cabir but that's the best revenge I could've taken. So thank you."
Dhruv said,"Nandini I'm sorry."
I smiled and said,"Dhruv its really not your fault. It was love. Its past now."
It was love. Yes it WAS. And there is no way that I will change this 'was' to 'is'.

-------------------
A/N
I'm sorry guys. I know you all expect quick updates but I try to update whenever I get time.
As for Nancy, well on demand of many of you, she'll be back soon ( may be in the next part 😉)
Please Keep supporting me through your votes and comments.

Love and hugs
Sasha