Chapter 9

Annabeth's POV

Thalia and I were rushed out of our houses and brought to the airport. We hardly had time to say goodbye to Luke, who would be coming in one week.

As we wait, I'm thinking about a drawback in this situation. They'll make me wear fancy dresses.

I groan out loud. Thalia looks at me.

"What's the problem?"

"I just remembered that we will have to wear dresses. All the time. Long, fancy dresses."

Thalia groans too. But then she smiles.

"They'll have a hard time with my hair, won't they."

I laugh with her. A few months ago, she announced that she wanted short hair. So Luke cut it. He is terrible with scissors and it Thalia looked like she stuck her finger in a socket. I tried to even it out a bit, but it's still pretty bad.

"They'll have fun with you, Annie, with your curly blonde hair."

I elbow her hard, causing her to snort. Which is the exact moment some other person from the Selection walks over.

Some girl with long, straight blonde hair struts over like the world is her catwalk.

"Aww, did you girls get lost? Surely you haven't been selected since you're not even close to being pretty," she says with a drawl.

Thalia clenches her fists and is about to pummel the girl into a pulp. I want to help her. But then another girl walks up and notices the tension.

"What's going on over here?" She asks.

"Nothing important," the first girl replies, looking at us distastefully. She walks to another bench and sits down. The second girl walks over to us.

I immediately tense up. She looks like a model and I've learned that models can be divas. Like exhibit A over there.

"Hi, I'm Silena. What are your names?"

I reply wearily, knowing that Thaila most likely won't answer.

"I'm Annabeth. This is Thalia."

"Annabeth is such a pretty name! And your hair is so pretty!"

"Thanks."

"I come from Kent. It's really nice there. Where do you two come from?"

"We both come from Carolina."

"Oh, I went there once for a modeling gig. It was beautiful. You two are so lucky that you came with each other. I guess I'm stuck with Savannah over there."

Silena makes a face which makes me laugh. Thalia gives a smile.

A lady walks over with tall heels and we board the plane. I talk to Thalia and Silena the entire way.