Chapter 49

Piper's dress in the media. First off, thank you to everyone who reads this. I've gotten so much support and compliments, I just love you guys. On that note, have this horribly depressing chapter. Hopefully the next one will be more uplifting. Who am I kidding, no it won't.

Piper's POV

I've heard that Reyna got asked on a date by the Prince. I'm happy for her, but I'm also nervous. I know that I'm only here because he pities me and the accident that occurred. Maybe if that didn't happen, I would have been eliminated already.

There's a bad feeling in the air, as if something is going to go wrong. The world seems to be holding its breath.

The Report is tonight, and I'm a ball of nerves. I've never been all that great at speaking in public. Something about it makes me freeze up and stutter. At least I don't have to worry about Drew being there to sabotage me. Even though she's done plenty of that without a Report. At least she is now at home, far away from me.

I'm wandering around the castle, bored out of my mind. Who would have thought that the Selection could ever grow tiresome? The hallways are empty, no one in sight except for guards at their posts. I've almost grown used to the sight of them.

Finally, another Selected girl comes walking near me. I recognize her after a few brief meetings. Silena, who is wearing a pale pink dress that sets off her hair really well.

"Hello Piper," she says in a friendly voice. "How are you?"

"Fine, thank you. And you?" I ask politely.

"Wonderful." She has a dreamy look in her eyes, looking more happy than normal. I smile at her somewhat awkwardly. "Piper, have you ever had that feeling where everything seems to perfect?"

An image of Jason fills my mind. I shake it off and resume smiling at Silena.

"I suppose that I must have before. What happened to make you so happy, Silena?"

Her smile goes away almost immediately. Her eyes, normally bright and warm, turn cold.

"Oh, nothing in particular. Just, you know, the Selection and all. It is the chance of a lifetime, after all."

I don't believe her, but it isn't my place to correct her, or pry any more.

"I agree," I say weakly.

"I have to go, but it was nice speaking to you, Piper."

"You as well," I say before resuming my walk. Something seems off about Silena.

Was her makeup smudged? I've never before seen that. Her hair looked a little mess up. And her lips looked...swollen.

I stop in my tracks. Percy hasn't been on a date with her yet, or at least not in my knowledge. And I doubt he would be so forward. I can read between the lines, and I don't like what I'm reading.

I turn around and run in the direction of where Silena went. Where did she go?

I see her speaking to a guard. I haven't ever seen him before. He's tall and has dark skin. His biceps are very well defined. I shake my head, trying to snap out of it.

Silena reaches on her tiptoes and kisses him lightly on the cheek.

What has she done? She could get killed for this.