Chapter 29

Reyna's POV

One week ago, I saw my friend Piper surrounded by a pool of her own blood, lying in a heap on the floor. You don't forget something like that. You also don't forget the same happening to your sister. Lying still on the floor, unmoving while your father stands there, unbothered by the whole scene. Me stabbing him in the gut with a fire poker. My sister ignoring me since then. I thought that the Selection could help us get closer, but the opposite had happened. If anything, she's been avoiding me even more.

I scowl while walking, looking for the room that contains hundreds of different fabrics and silks for us to make our dresses out of.

And now the masquerade ball is coming up and we're expected to make our own dresses and masks. I don't know how to sew, much less know how to make a dress from scratch. And our maids aren't supposed to make it themselves. They can help, just not make it.

I arrive at my destination, seeing that a handful of other girls had the same idea, my sister included. She's standing at a pile of blood red silks, fingering them thoughtfully.

Knowing better than to try and approach her, I head to the opposite side of the room. No one is at the rack full of black cloth. Instead, they swarm to the pinks and blues.

A solid black silk catches my eye. Silver sparkles swirl around on it, creating the illusion of night. I pick it up and unfold it. It's long, more than I need. Much more.

Rolling it up, I decide to take the entire roll. Better to have more than less. I pass my sister on the way out. She looks at me, a little surprised. She's still holding the red silk. Hylla looks at the silk in my hand and gives me a confused look. She was probably expecting me to pick a royal purple, like the dresses I have been wearing recently.

Hylla could know who I am if I wear this silk. I act as if I was heading towards the purples the entire time, disposing of the black silk behind the table. When Hylla turns away, I hastily wrap a purple fabric around the black. She discreetly looks my way and I walk out, purple fabric in my hand, the black concealed.

I reach my room and walk in. Seeing supplies were delivered to every room once we found out about the ball. I lay my silk across the table and stare at it. I don't know what to do.

Dejected, I put my head in my hands. It's no use. I have no clue how to sew or where to start.

"Miss?" A voice asks outside of the door. "Can we come in?"

My maids. They could at least teach me
how to sew. I quickly straighten up, concealing every possible vulnerability.

"Please do," I answer, relief obvious in my voice.

They file in. After a few days, I had finally remembered their names: Claire, Rose, and Sarah. Claire has blonde hair, usually done in a ponytail. Rose was petite and had short dark brown hair and vibrant green eyes. Sarah also had brown hair, but while Rose's was curly, Sarah's was straight.

"Do you need any help at all, miss?" Claire asks gently, leaning over to see my silk. She gives me an approving look.

"We can work easily with that," Claire says with a wide smile.

I return the smile and my three maids gather materials. Pretty soon, they've already taken my measurements  and cut the fabric.

"I'll be right back, Miss," Rose says quietly.

"Please, call me Reyna," I tell her with a smile. She bobs her head and scurries out of the room.

Sarah and Claire dance around the room, cutting silk, adding sequins,
brandishing scissors. The dress slowly starts to take form.

There's a small knock at the door. "Would you get that, Reyna?" Claire asks me, forgetting to be formal.

"Of course," I say, already walking to the door.

Rose is standing there with a black object in hand. She thrusts it at me before ducking back into the room. Confused, I look down at what she just handed me.

It's a black mask with ornate silver lines, dancing over one another. A gem rests above where the nose will go. Two ribbons come from the back for me to tie it around my head.

Touched, I go back into my room. Rose has already bent over the dress and continues working. I lean over and touch her hand. She looks up, startled.

"Thank you," I tell her.

She gives me a fleeting smile before bending over again to work on my dress, the dress I'll wear to the masquerade ball.

Any requests on who's POV I should do next? The person who requests first will get a shoutout.