Chapter 56

Piper's POV

"The Prince has requested to see you, my lady," Jason says with a curt nod. I smile and wink playfully at him, but he doesn't wink back. Odd. Maybe he's worried about someone outside seeing us acting so friendly. Gods, what is my life? I'm now worried about other people seeing me talking to a boy. A few months ago, it would be a miracle if someone wanted to talk to me. Drew made sure of that.

"Come on in, sir," I say, teasing him.

"I don't think that would be appropriate, miss," was all Jason said. "I was told to escort you to the gardens so that the Prince could speak with you. You are to receive this invitation," he hands me a peach colored envelope, "and join him in the gardens in one hour."

Just this morning, I was pranking a guard with Jason. What had changed in the few short hours since?

Jason bows and walks away, stopping at the end of the hallway where he is supposed to be positioned. With a sigh, I rip open the pink envelope.

Miss Piper McLean,
You are invited to join me and the other ten remaining ladies in the Selection for a very important announcement. I hope to see you in the gardens at two for a late lunch.

-Prince Percy Jackson

Late lunch mostly likely equals a fancy dress. The last time we were all invited to one place, Silena was attacked by one of the guards. And the time before that... well, I've still got the scars to show.

The worst part about the Selection was the competition. All of the girls were so anxious to one-up each other that hardly anyone had time for a friendly chat. At least the girls like Drew and Willow were gone.

But a luncheon was bound to bring trouble, especially one that had an 'important announcement'. The Prince was bound to eliminate four girls soon, leaving some to compete for the final crown.

Do I want to go back home, where I know that I'll never belong? Or should I stay here, even though it'll always feel wrong? Not that it's really my choice. It all depends on what the Prince wants.

I ring for my maids and wait to get all dressed up for whatever my destiny leads me to.

Two hours later, I'm decked in cream and gold colored dress. I feel overdressed, but who knows what is happening at this lunch. For all I know, it could be another Report, since the last one failed miserably.

A knock sounds at my door. All three of my maids stand up to answer it before slipping away themselves.

"Are you ready to go, miss?" Jason asks me.

"Can you help me with something first?" I ask before closing the door, leaving him locked in my room. Jason turns around, then whips back to face me.

"What are you doing?" he hisses while narrowing his eyes at me. I roll my eyes at his dramatic reaction.

"That's what I wanted to ask you! The way you talked to me earlier made it sound like you've never met me before. What's up?"

"You saw what happened to Silena and Beckendorf," Jason says. "That exact thing could happen to us. It just doesn't look good for us to be talking."

"Yes, because being friends is now against the law," I say dryly. "Gods, Jason, you make absolutely no sense. So what you're saying is you don't want to talk to me anymore because it'll make you look bad? Do you know how self-absorbed that makes you?"

"Better that than me getting fired. That's the one thing I can't have."

Normally, this would be the point where the girl would feel tears coming. But now, I just feel anger.

"When I came here, I was new. I didn't know anyone, and I was scared out of my mind. A friendly guard talked to me, and I was happy that I managed to make a friend. Turns out he just did it for his image," I spit out, wanting him to hurt as much as I do.

"You're just being stupid," Jason says.

"I'm the one being stupid? Fine, then at least you won't have to deal with my stupidity anymore, Officer Grace."

"I still have to escort you to the gardens."

"I think I can manage on my own, funnily enough. That is, if you don't think I'm too stupid to figure it out."

When he doesn't reply, I take that as my cue to leave. I think Zoe has it right: boys aren't worth it.

A/N
This is really short. And really crappy. Dang, Piper is so annoying in this chapter. At this point, I'm running on fumes. I've been working for two weeks for ten hours at a summer camp, where children do not like to listen. But I owe you guys an update, so here you go, in all it's crappy glory! On a different note, I'll be writing four more chapters plus an epilogue, then this book will be done. The countdown starts now!

On another note, RissaTheLostPotato made the amazing new cover. Thank you so much!