Chapter 48

Unknown POV (And no, it isn't Willow. She's gone...for now. And random thing, I think of the song "I Know Places" by Taylor Swift while reading this.

I sneak down the hallway, glad for the isolation. This way no one can see me, completely hidden in plain sight.

He promised me that he would meet me near the Women's Room at ten in the morning. But there's no one there, and it's 9:57. Is he not going to come?

Relax, of course he'll come, I tell myself. It isn't even the time we were supposed to meet.

Nevertheless, my heart contracts painfully in my chest. If we get caught, the punishment may be death. But there shouldn't be any rules restricting love. How is it our fault that we found it at a most inconvenient time?

Footsteps. I press myself against the wall and squeeze my eyes shut, hoping that they'll just pass by. They stop, right in front of me.

"I can see you," he chuckles. "Not that great of a hiding spot."

I open my eyes and take him in. Tall, much taller than I am. Dark skin, muscular, large and calloused hands. He's grown to be familiar to me in a way I never before imagined. I always had a crush on the Prince and thought I would marry him.

"I thought you were a guard," I can feel myself blushing.

"Well, I am," he points out. "But not one that you need to worry about."

"I always worry about you, about us getting caught," I admit.

He looks both ways, as if to make sure we are still alone. "Speaking of which, we better get somewhere that isn't in the middle of a hall way. There's this hidden room, one like where Willow hid. We'll be safe there."

I giggle as he takes my hand and leads me down the halls. Luckily, there's no one else around to see us. We arrive at a blank wall. At least it was blank before he pressed a panel and it opened up, revealing a room.

"Come on," he beckons. I step in cautiously, and the door slides shut behind me.

There's a bed in the corner, a double. A lone painting is hanged on a wall and there's a small table.

"This is a place where the royalty can stay in an emergency," his voice takes on a commanding and official tone. "If anyone of them needs help, they know to find one of these rooms for safety."

"Fascinating. I supposed we're trying to find safety?"

"From prying eyes, yes."

He takes his calloused hand into my own. He works with machines and metals so much that his hands have become tough and firm. Strong even.

He pulls me close so quickly that the air rushes out of my chest. It's been so long since we've touched, not since the ball.

"I've missed you," I murmer into his ear. "It's been difficult staying away."

"Do you think you could drop out of the Selection? Marry me in private, in a way that wouldn't break the law?"

"If I could I would. But my family is depending on me to advance as far as I can. Doing what you hate for someone you love, all while hurting another whom you love is hard."

"Don't worry about me," he kisses my knuckles. "I should be the one worried about you."

"We can both worry about each other," I promise. "I know that I'm always worried you'll get in trouble."

"I can't get in trouble if it's a secret. We're safe as long as nobody knows about us."

"I love you," I whisper.

In response, he kisses me, pressing his hands into my shoulders. I return the kiss and lean into him.

Suddenly, he moves towards the bed, bringing me with him. We fall on top of it, kissing almost wildly. He tastes of lemons and chocolate. His hands are tangled in my long hair. Seized by a sudden urge, I reach to his shirt and start to unbutton it.

He breaks away. I feel embarrassed that I even tried anything. His hair is askew and lips are swollen from kissing.

"I can't," he whispers. "I'm sorry."

"No, I'm the one who's sorry. I shouldn't have even tried to do anything. I love you."

"And I love you, but we can't do it. We could get in trouble just for holding hands. I don't want anything like that to ever happen while we're in this position."

"I understand, and please know I wouldn't do anything like that without..." I break off, a lump in my throat.

"I know that," he says softly, taking my hand again. "I know you. I have to go, they'll notice if I'm gone for too long."

We kiss one last time, and it tastes of goodbye.

A/N
What do you think of that somewhat scandalous chapter? I know it escalated, but nothing happened. I repeat nothing happened.

Anyways, who do you think it is? Hint: It's a character from Percy Jackson or Heroes of Olympus. Both of them are an official ship, so it's not like Lacy and a random guard.