Chapter 36

Thalia's POV

Ever since the incident with the camera, Luke hasn't spoken to me. I've been tensed up, like a coil ready to spring. And now Annabeth is upset with me, or maybe she's upset at me. I can't tell the difference. I'm surprised that the photo of Luke and I hasn't been published yet in the newspaper. Or that I haven't been kicked out for not being faithful to someone who doesn't know I exist.

The only reason I'm still here is Luke and Annabeth. If they weren't here, I would have left eons ago. Even though I never see them some days, just the thought of them makes everything here worthwhile.

After dinner, which was far more entertaining than I had thought, I rush upstairs to grab my dress. I see the other girls in my group do the same. I'm a little disappointed that I have to change my dress, but not disappointed enough to not do it.

My blue dress in hand, I head towards Annabeth's room. If things were the same, we would be in each others rooms every day, like they were our own. But it isn't the same. For some reason, Annabeth no longer looks up to me like an older sister. It's as if we're two strangers who were friends in Kindergarten.

I see Zoë already arriving, hand poised to knock. I hold back a groan. I hate her. She tried to recruit me for some women's club. I declined, thinking of Luke, and she got super mad. Now we're pretty much enemies.

"I didn't think you had a dress," I say to her.

"I do. I didn't think that you cared," she says in a tone equally as frosty.

"I don't. It's something called casual conversation. It's what you do when you're stuck with someone in an awkward situation."

"I don't find waiting for someone to be awkward."

"Well that makes one of us," I say.

The door opens and I see a disheveled Annabeth, her hair messily pulled into a ponytail. It looks the same as when we would play capture the flag back home. The only thing missing is her in a ratty T-shirt and old jean shorts. Instead, she's in a ball gown.

"Oh good, you're here. Come on in," she says, waving us in.

Bianca is already in the room, showing Reyna her already made dress. Hylla is talking to another girl, Piper I think is her name. I stand awkwardly near the door, not knowing where to go. Luckily, Zoe has the same trouble, so it's not only me.

"Okay, would you mind showing me your dress, Zoë ?" Annabeth asks, coming to stand in between us.

Zoë uncovers it and I see a silver ball gown, similar to one I wore already this week. Annabeth looks at it thoughtfully and I can see the wheels turning in her head. Her eyebrows knit together in concentration, the way they do whenever she's thinking.

"I think I may have an idea for you, Zoë. Thalia, what about you?" She asks, turning to me for the first time. She uses the same casual tone as she did for Zoë.

Wordlessly, I hold out my electric blue dress. Nothing much you can make out of it.

"Perfect," Annabeth breathes. I look at her surprised.

"Each group has an overall costume theme," she explains. "For example, Drew's group are all birds. That way, everyone knows who is whose group."

"That is a good idea," Zoë compliments. Annabeth beams.

"So what's our theme?" I ask, miffed that Zoë beat me to it. Annabeth looks disappointed when she looks at me.

"I'll explain it to everyone. Bianca, Hylla!" Annabeth calls out to them.

They head towards us, Reyna and Piper trailing behind them. Annabeth gathers us around in a large circle.

"Bianca, since you don't already have a dress, come with me after we discuss to pick out a fabric. My idea is something that suits all of your personalities, in a good way. I'm thinking a female warrior costume."

"Like...hunters?" Zoë asks.

"Exactly! You could cut your dresses shorter, create more of a punk feeling. Use silvers, golds, blacks, and blues. Do your hair up and have some fake weapons," Annabeth starts rushing words out, the way she does when she's excited.

"That's a great idea!" Bianca exclaims. Annabeth beams at her.

"Yeah, sounds really cool," I say, trying to sound as excited as Annabeth is.

"Okay, so come with me, Bianca. Hylla, you stay here with Piper. Thalia and Zoë, go with Reyna to cut your dresses to a good length."

We do as she says, no one thinking to disobey this girl with curly blonde hair. I smile to myself as I raise scissors to my dress. Annabeth reminds me a lot of myself when I was younger. Scratch that, she reminds me a lot of myself now.

I'm so startled by my next thought that I drop my scissors. My little Annie is growing up.