Chapter 27

Piper's POV

Silence. Percy looks around the room, looking for the speaker. They left a long time ago. They left me bleeding, tied up on the floor, and crying. But no one can blame me for my tears.

I wake up, confused for a moment. Then everything comes flooding back. The girl threatening me with the knife. The boy twisting my wrist. Him knocking me out.

I try to sit up, but I can't for two reasons. The first is being tied up. The second is the pain that becomes searing with movement.

My back feels abnormally wet. I try to turn around, but I can't. The ropes stop me from going anywhere. I can't move, can hardly breathe. My thoughts travel to Jason for a fleeting second.

"It's too late. Annabeth left," Percy's voice shakes me out of memory.

"Pity for one of your girlfriends. If you can't already tell, she isn't feeling well. It's a shame that there's not a doctor around to assist her," the voice leers with false pity.

"How can I declare you the winner if I don't know who you are?"

"You'll know who I am soon enough, Perseus Jackson. Let me give you a small hint. I'm someone that you don't even know. But you will."

I watch Percy's face turn from worried to confused. A strange combination of both.

"Don't worry, your highness," the voice purrs. "I'll let you go. Just remember, at this moment in time, you are helpless. Don't forget this feeling ever, Percy Jackson."

I hear a small click come from the door. The door must be unlocked.

"Go with caution, Perseus. Be more careful in the future."

Reyna shoves open the door. Percy picks me up in his arms and carries me out the door, out of the room that I'm all too glad to leave.

"Reyna, go get a doctor," Percy orders.

"But-"

"Now!" He yells.

Reyna runs down the hallway, leaving Percy and me alone. He gently puts me on the ground.

"My back..." I whisper, my voice hoarse from screaming.

"I'm sorry. I'll turn you on your side," he says softly.

Percy turns me gently on the opposite side and I release a sigh of relief. The pain goes from searing to pounding. I hear a gasp and I look up. Percy is looking at my back with a look of horror.

I didn't think my back acne was that bad.

"What did they do to you?" He asks me, his voice tense with raw terror.

"I don't know. They knocked me out and when I woke up, I was alone. Why, what's wrong?" I ask, slight panic creeping into my voice.

"It'll be okay," he reassures me, avoiding my question.

I try to turn my head to see, but whatever is wrong is out of sight. All I can see is my red dress.

I'm not wearing a red dress. My maids gave me a white one today.

I release a horrified gasp. A rip in my dress is large enough for a hand to fit through easily. Percy rips a bit off his shirt and presses it against my back.

"Miss Piper?" A voice whispers across the hallway, terror making his voice quiet.

I look and see Jason standing in the middle of the hall, looking at me with a look of panic.

I give him a weak smile. "I seem to have spilt some punch all over my dress."

"Can you stay with here her while I find the doctor?" Percy asks, already standing up. For the first time, I notice the sweat dampening his forehead, the redness of his eyes, the way his eyebrows are knit together.

"Of course, Your Highness," Jason says with a bow in Percy's direction.

Percy is already gone.

"Piper, how...what happened?"

"Long story involving different psychopaths, ropes, knives, and a lot of being knocked out," I say laughing. I automatically stop and wince.

"Who? Who did this to you?" Jason demands.

"One of the Selected. I...I don't know her name. Just that she had blonde hair."

Jason curses. "That's about half of the girls here, Pipes."

My heart skips a beat at the unexpected nickname. I don't mention it to him.

"It's a trend I never really decided to do."

He leans over me, putting my head in his lap. I'm laying on my side, the cold floor making my entire right side chilly. A sleeveless white gown is not the best outfit for laying on the cold ground.

After what seems like seconds, footsteps echo down the hallway. Six shadows appear, looking fuzzy and dark. I can make out Percy's shadow, his dark hair covering his eyes. The others appear to be nurses and doctors pushing a bed across the slick white floor.

They carefully lift me up into the bed, placing me gently on my side. Jason gives me a worried look. I give him what I believe to be a reassuring smile. It probably looks more like a grimace. Whatever it looks like, Jason leaves my side and they rush me away.