Chapter 10

Annabeth's POV

Before the airplane lands, I see a giant crowd. Once we touch down, I get nervous.

The airplane door opens and a warm breezes floats into the aircraft. My father would love flying in an airplane...

I mentally scold myself. I cannot think of my family here, if I can call them my family. Thalia and Luke are my only true family.

Thalia nudges me forward and I step out of the airplane. Savannah is waving at her fans. Silena is signing a few autographs. I'm not sure what to do. I doubt anyone hear wants to see just me.

I hear Thalia sigh behind me. I take a step to the side and she walks past me. I follow her. I spot a little girl, around seven years old, holding a poster with my face on it. She has the same color eyes as me, stormy gray.

I bend down to her.

"Hello. What's your name?"

She hesitates for a second before answering.

"I'm Taylor and I hope you win!"

I smile down at her.

"Would you like me to sign your poster?"

She beams and holds it out to me. I sign it.

"Goodbye Taylor," I say, standing up.

"Goodbye!"

She waves as I keep walking. I make sure to keep signing little girl's papers.

Everyone is already waiting for me as I walk up. The lady who will be in charge of us sighs. I think her name is Delilah.

The second we arrive in the palace, they whisk us away to "makeover" sections. I wave a quick goodbye to Thalia and allow the maids to pull me over to a station.

Cameras are everywhere, going from girl to girl. Interviewing them, zooming in on their shoes and makeup.

At a station, they take a "before" picture of me. They try to hide their disgust.

Then I go to a makeup and hair station, where a man looks at me critically. I think I brushed my hair this morning. Not that anyone could tell since its pulled back in its usually messy ponytail.

"What do you want your image to be?" He asks.

"Um, what?"

"Your image," he explains in a slow voice. "What do you want viewers to see you as? We could make you look innocent, since your hair works in that favor."

"My image is myself. I'm not going to change it for a few weeks."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Fine. We'll still have to add makeup and do something about your hair. Go along with these ladies."

The maids pull me over and literally scrub every inch of my body. My skin is sore, but they promise I look better. Then they slather me with cocoa scented lotion, saying it was one of the Prince's favorite smells.

Then they look at my nails and immediately file them. Apparently uneven nails are not okay. They paint them an aqua blue, claiming that blue is the prince's favorite color.

They condition and shampoo my hair. I spot Thalia across the room looking disgustedly at the nail polish choices in front of her. She chooses black with a wicked smile.

They spray my hair and yank a brush through it. They tell me to close my eyes and open them, to blink, to close them again. I go along with it for now.

I open my eyes and they tell me that it's light, which is what I requested. Before I have a chance to look in a mirror, a camera comes into my face.

"What's your name?" The lady behind the camera asks.

"I'm Annabeth Chase."

"Your hair looks very nice," she says before hurrying off.

The maids lead me to a rack full of clothes. I find my name and they pull off a dress that matches my nails. (A/N the dress in the media).

I slip it on and they hand me a little tag with my name on it. I pin it on. The girls wrestle me into some shoes, small heels. I hate wearing heels. Then I'm lead away once again.

They direct me to a chair, which I sit in. It is in front of a backdrop. An interviewer and a camera man head over to me. I sit up straight.

"What is this for?" I ask.

"A makeover special. We will be airing it on Wednesday, and then Friday you'll do your first Report. Now, you're Annabeth Chase, right?"

"Yes," I reply.

"You seem to look almost the same as when you arrived. What changes did they make?"

"For starters, they gave me makeup, which I never wear. So that's new. And they covered me in lotion, so now I smell like chocolate. And I'm wearing a dress, which is news enough for me. I never wear dresses."

"Right. Well, you're hair they didn't change, correct?"

"They brushed it. That's all."

The lady looks admiringly at my hair. People have told me that it's pretty before, but I don't really pay much attention to it.

"What do you think of your competition so far?"

"They seem really nice."

She looks disappointed with my answer.

"That's all that we need. We still have other girls to go through, so good luck Miss. Chase."

"Thank you," I say as she walks away.

I wait in a sitting area already filled with other girls.