Chapter 24

Just so you know, it's been about three weeks since the start of the Selection.

Annabeth's POV

I can't believe what this newspaper is saying. Somehow, Percy has eliminated six others. Kelly Charleston, Sarah Clarkson, Lauren Sherman, Nicole Sherman, Amanda Robinson, and Karissa Fulcher.

I walk outside of my room, hoping to see a friendly face. I see Percy heading down the hall. Excited, I rush after him.

He stops at a door. Confused, I stop as well. He knocks and a girl opens the door.

I take in a sharp breath. Not just any girl. He's talking to Rachel Dare, his first date.

They start to talk. I'm too far away to hear them, but I can sort of see the exchange. Rachel seems heated up about something. Then her eyes slowly soften. She leans in and kisses Percy right on the lips. Percy bows and leaves, walking down the opposite hallway.

Rachel looks at me straight in the eye and gives me a smug smile. I'm too shocked to say anything at all. She closes the door.

Angry, I walk down the hallway, steaming mad. I don't like people playing with my emotions like this. He can't tell me that I'll be his first choice and then ask Rachel out on another date.

If this is how he wants to play it, then let me oblige.

I catch up to Percy quickly enough. He seems surprised when I grab his sleeve.

"Hello, Annabeth. How are you?" He asks me.

"I just so happened to see you talking to Rachel. Would you care to enlighten me on what you were talking about?"

Percy looks at me offended. "That happens to be my own personal business. Just because you and I went on a date last night-"

"We aren't actually a thing? Well pardon me for thinking differently, your highness," I say, exaggerated the highness.

"I'm sorry, but did you think there was something different between us, something that Rachel and don't have? I'm sorry for misleading you, Miss. Chase."

I feel a sharp pang in my heart. I ignore it.

"Misleading? Is that the best you can do, Seaweed Brain? Is that the biggest word you know?"

"Oh I know much bigger words, but I'm supposed to be a gentleman, seeing that I'm a prince."

"Well excuse me, your princeliness. I suppose that I'll just leave you to your 22 other girlfriends then."

"Good. I'm sure that I'll find someone else just like you."

I feel tears coming on. I swallow them down as discreetly as I can.

"Fine then. I guess I'll just be leaving you to all of them. Hope you find someone that strikes your interest for more than a few weeks."

"I will find someone. And I can only hope that you find someone just as impossible as you are."

"I'm impossible? Well you're insufferable."

"Goodbye, Annabeth Chase," Percy says before turning around.

"Good luck on finding someone who will stay with you, Perseus Jackson," I spit before leaving him.

"Believe me, I will."

I storm to my room, oblivious to the different looks that different guards are giving me. I wipe my tears away angrily. I'm glad that this was the last time that I'll ever see Percy Jackson.

So that was...special. Good choice or bad on both of their parts? Tell me what you think. And thank you so much for being so supportive. Be prepared for the next chapter. Be. Prepared.