Chapter 21

Hazel's POV

I wake up to a knock at my door. Sleepily, I get out of my giant bed and walk to the door.

There's no one there. I'm about to close the door when I look down and see a newspaper. Two pictures are one the front, both including the Prince and a girl. The first girl has curly red hair and the second girl has gray eyes and curly blonde hair. The newspaper is called "Selection Insider". In big black letters running across the top, the title reads "The Prince's First Two Dates: Exclusive".

Curious, I take it inside to read. I settle down on my white comforter and open up the newspaper.

Prince goes on Two Dates in One Day

During the course of the Selection, many girls are hopeful that the Prince will pick them and they will become a One. Two girls seem to have already stumbled upon this chance.

Rachel Elizabeth Dare, daughter of the famous W. Dare, owner of one of the biggest modern day companies, was seen on the first date with the young Prince. Here she is, seen riding a horse with Prince Percy. Sources say that they then went to a lake far out and painted. The date was a long one, lasting around two and a half hours long.

Other Selected ladies have reported that when Prince Percy and Rachel Dare had their formal introduction, they were suspiciously friendly with one another. It is rumored that the two have been secretly dating for a few years and that fowl play was used in the Selection of Rachel Elizabeth Dare. Their affair has not yet been proven, but some evidence has been brought to others attention. Summer O' Neil, a Three from Allens and a Selected girl, stated "The Prince and Dare seemed to know each other very well the first time they 'met'. My friends and I believe that they knew each other for much longer than the Selection has been in play."

Following the events of the first date with Dare, the prince seemed to find another girl to play with. The "second pick" is a plain girl named Annabeth Chase, a Four from Carolina, was spotted frolicking with the prince late last evening. The two seemed very playful with each other, throwing food and pushing each other into the pool. This disgusting display produced by Chase seemed to bring out the worst of Prince Percy, who was just trying to be nice to the confused young lady. Shockingly enough, they two twisted lovebirds fell into the pool and were caught on camera kissing, no doubt all Annabeth's idea. The poor prince was dragged into the entire, complicated web of a date, constructed by simple Annabeth Chase.

Others that were Selected say that Annabeth seems like a "manipulative girl who wants to become the Queen for selfish reasons", Savannah Sugar, a Two from Baffin, shared this with us. It seems as if Miss Chase is simply a power hungry young woman who will ruthlessly play with boys emotions to hair get what she wants. She was also seen hugging a guard in the hallway. They seemed a little too friendly for comfort.

Hopefully, Prince Percy will not pick Annabeth Chase as his wife. Then again, it's too early to know.

Written by: A Selected Lady

I set down the newspaper with shaking hands. I can't imagine someone so horrible that would make this paper full of lies. Annabeth doesn't seem like someone who would play with boys emotions just because. She seems like a good person. Plus I saw Percy with Annabeth when they did their formal meeting. Prince Percy acting like he loved her even before they got to know each other well.

I've decided. I will find out what Selected girl wrote this and tell them that they're wrong. Love isn't about manipulation. It's about making sacrifices. And this "Selected Lady" knows nothing about real love.