Chapter 47

Reyna's POV

The morning sun shines much too bright through my window. It can't be any later than seven in the morning and after a sleepless night, I'm exhausted. Ever since I found Jason, sleeping has been getting harder and harder. It's been a week since the ball and I haven't seen him since.

It's not as if  he likes me. He's completely smitten with Piper. Not that I can blame him, she is beautiful. But sometimes it feels as if everything that I do and am isn't ever enough.

With a sigh, I heave myself out of the soft bed. I could stay in there forever, it's much better than my bed at home. Everything here is better than home: the food, the clothes, the bathrooms, the people, the beds, and hundreds more.

There are not many girls remaining in the Selection. Rachel and Annabeth are the two biggest love interests of the Prince. It's been that way since day one, those two being the most popular. According to the people, it's too soon to tell when favorites will be selected. But there's a report tonight in which we'll all be in.

I'm nervous about being on live television, but I would never admit it to anyone. Especially not my sister.

I wish my maids were with me. They always know how to make me feel better, sometimes by giving me a new dress. It sounds vain, but it works.

I get myself a glass of water and sip it slowly. Something feels wrong today, like the calm before a storm. I don't know why, but it's there.

With nothing else to do, I open my large closet and look for a dress to wear. Purple? No, I wear that color too much. Yellow looks awful with my hair color. So does orange. I find nothing that inspires me. What is with me today?

I hear a knock at the door. Relieved for a distraction, any distraction, I open the door, not caring that I'm only in a night gown. My maids, Claire, Rose, and Sarah, are standing there with a large piece of plastic wrapping.

"May we come in, miss?" Claire asks me.

"Of course," I reply and move to the side, creating space for them to squeeze by. They do, making the plastic covering crackle with movement. "What's under there?"

Rose smiles timidly at me. "We shall reveal it in a few minutes miss. But first, we have something to show you."

Claire holds out a piece of paper, folded up into fourths. Curious, I open it up.

Reyna- 

True, we have hardly even talked yet, but meet me in the garden at ten this morning. I've heard a lot about you, and cannot wait to become fully acquainted with you. 

-Prince Percy Jackson

I'm astonished. I am finally going on a date with the prince. After weeks of being in the Selection, finally I'm moving forward.

"That, miss, is why we brought this," Claire says, removing the plastic covering. Underneath is a beautiful white dress, with red lace on the top. It reminds me of a rose, delicate and beautiful. I gasp in surprise.

"Claire, this is too much! Especially just for a date."

She shakes her head. "Nonsense, it's perfect. Besides, it is already made and ready to be worn. You will look stunning." The other two maids bob their heads in agreement.

An hour and thirty minutes later, I'm clean and wearing the white dress. It goes well with my tan skin and dark hair surprisingly enough. My maids applaud me as I show them the dress.

"It looks lovely, miss," Sarah gushes. 

I laugh at her. "That's only because you three made it. I love it, and I'm sure the Prince will as well."

"The prince," Claire gasps. "You're going to be late for your date."

"Then I better get going." I slip on white flats, I'm still not used to heels, and I walk out of the room, waving to Claire, Rose, and Sarah as I go. I hum happily to myself as I go, placing Jason in the very back corner of my mind. I can fret about that later.

The day is warm and the garden is beautiful, filled with flowers and trees. A guard allows me to pass and enter it. I curtsy to him, a skill I have only recently acquired, and head into  the soft sunlight.

I spot Percy immediately, as he is the only other person outside. He is kneeling on the ground in front of a few flowers. I feel awkward and overdressed. What if I wore the wrong thing?

Ridiculous, I tell myself. Since when do I worry about what I'm wearing? If anyone is to fall in love with me, it should be based on my character, not my clothing.

"Lady Reyna?" He asks, standing up. Percy brushes the dirt off of his pants. "I assume I am correct."

"You are," I curtsy to him. "And are you Prince Percy?"

"You are correct," he laughs. "Would you care to sit, or would you rather walk around?"

"Walk, if that is alright with you," I reply.

"Of course it is. Come, I will show you the best spot of the garden."

He starts to walk and I, glad that I didn't wear heels, hurry to catch up with him. His black hair is rumpled and brushed to the side.

"So," Percy starts. I snap my attention to his face, instead of his hair. "I hear that you come from Dominga? Is it nice there?"

"Nice isn't exactly the word I would use, but I loved the weather. Much warmer than here, though it is enjoyable. I do miss the food," I tell him wistfully.

"Isn't your sister here as well?"

"Yes," I say shortly. "She is here as well."

"I wish I had more time to figure this all out. I mean, there was thirty five to begin with, and I'm supposed to narrow it down to one."

"I can't imagine that would be easy," I reply sympathetically.

"It isn't, at that."

We continue in silence. I don't know what I was to expect from this date, but it feels forced and strained, as if his heart isn't quite into it.

"Listen, your highness," I start. "I know that you don't know me, so I'm not going to force you to pretend that you love me. I doubt you even know the majority of the names. But I would appreciate it if you tried to connect to every girl. I know of many how think themselves to be useless because you've never spoke to them. If you tried to do so, maybe you would find yourself with more willing to listen to your pain."

I spin away and stalk off. I'm angry, and I don't even know why. Maybe it's because he told me how difficult this is, when he doesn't even know. He isn't on the receiving end of all the hurt.

A/N
So it was a really long wait for such a crappy update, but the big one is coming soon. Like next chapter soon, so stick around.