Chapter 38

Piper's dress. It's the masquerade ball! So much preparation. Hope that I did it to your expectations. And it's split into multiple parts, so more than one chapter.

Annabeth's POV

We finished the dresses just in time for the ball. With the help of all of our maids, it only took a few hours. Sounds of people walking down the hall carrying large objects is all we've heard for the past few minutes. Rachel went to try on her dress and we're anxious for the results.

Finally, she walks out. The ball gown is adorned with flowers, as is the mask. The coloring brings out the green of her eyes behind her mask and her hair looks less fiery and more subtle. Altogether, she looks just like spring.

"Here," Piper says, walking over to Rachel and placing a crown of flowers on her head.

"It's perfect," I say, nodding my head. "Piper, try on yours."

Piper rushes into my bathroom with the dress in hand. I add the final touches to my crown. Reyna is doing the same. I'm nervous, but I'm not sure why. Am I worried about the dresses? Percy? The threat of elimination? Another Piper incident happening? Percy?

Soon, Piper comes out beaming. "What do you think?" she asks, twirling in the doorway. Her skin tone compliments the red and orange hues. Her hair goes with it as well. The mask hides most of her face, but her eyes are visible. She looks stunning.

"Amazing!" I gush. "Pipes, you look beautiful."

"Thanks. Reyna, do you want to try on your dress next?" Piper asks, placing her crown on her head.

"Sure," she says, grabbing her white and blue dress.

"Piper, can you do Rachel's hair while I do yours?" I ask her, grabbing a hairbrush.

"Sure," she says while motioning Rachel to sit down.

I brush Piper's hair out, noticing the choppy hair cut. Her hair looks good down, but it's a little bit to plain. I stand up and plug in the curling iron. While I'm waiting for it to warm up, Reyna walks out of my bathroom.

"Well?" she hesitantly asks.

Her dark hair and eyes contrast against the light blue and white. Most people envision a snow goddess with blonde hair, but I always thought she would look like Reyna, with the dark colors of her hair and eyes.

"You forgot the mask and crown," Rachel reminds her.

Reyna walks over to where she left her mask and puts it on. If possible, she looks even better with the air of mystery surrounding her. Her eyes look darker. Her crown is decorated with blue and white glitter, complete with icicles and snowflakes.

"The picture of winter," Piper promises as I continue to curl her hair. "Cold and untouchable, yet beautiful."

When I finish curling Piper's hair, she waves me to go try on my dress. I grab the coral material and head into the "dressing room".

My dress is a much bigger ball gown than I usually wear. It looks like something from a movie, something a real princess would wear.

I get into the dress, still not tired of the feel of satin on my skin. It's difficult to get into, as all ball gowns are. They need to look tight when you wear them, which makes it difficult to wear them. Finally, it's on. I turn around and look at myself in the mirror.

I look nothing like the Four who used to envision herself marrying Luke, the girl who lived with a father who ignored her and the step-mother who hated her presence. Right now, I look like a princess. A real princess.