Chapter 15

Annabeth's POV

I wake up, startled for a second. I should already be awake, why didn't Luke or Thalia wake me up?

Then I remember that I'm not back home. I'm in the castle, in the Selection.

I relax in my comfortable bed. I don't want to get up. Of course, that's when the maids come in.

"Hello, Miss. Would you like to pick out your dress for today?"

I nod my head and allow them to take me out of my bed. I pick one of the simplest options; a gray silk gown with a jewel belt. At least it looks like a belt. I'm not exactly sure.

They apply makeup, which I don't think is necessary, and I wear my owl earrings from home. Then they pronounce me ready for breakfast.

I hurry down the hall, certain that I'm late. But I'm not. I'm one of the first ones there.

I take a seat where I had dinner the previous day. No one is sitting near me at the moment. The royal family is sitting at the head of the table, talking. I feel a pang of envy looking at them. The prince has love and attention from both parents. I get nothing but cold looks from mine.

Other girls begin to trickle in through the doors. I'm sitting next to Silena Beauguard. Juniper Bush is diagonal from me and across from me is a snobby girl named Savannah Sugar.

Savannah sits down. She's wearing a very revealing gold dress. Silena is wearing a hot pink ball gown.

Soon all of the Selected girls are in the room. Before we eat, the prince stands up and clears his throat.

"Good morning. Uh, I'm going to talk with you all one at a time, just to get to know you. After I'm done, we'll eat breakfast. Let's start with Emma Penny."

A girl with dirty blonde hair stands up and walks over.

"Too bad you won't be able to make it past today, Chase. He'll be done with your ugly face after two minutes."

"Savannah, that isn't nice. And Annabeth is really pretty. I wish I had hair like that," Silena says, looking longingly at my blonde curls.

"Thanks, Silena. And Savannah, I'm sure that when you go back home today, you're mother will buy you plenty of suitors. I mean, choose plenty."

I give Savannah a sweet smile. She returns it with one of her own. Juniper sits there twisting her hands together.

"Savannah Sugar."

"That's me. See you after I have princey boy wrapped around my finger," she stands up and struts over to the prince. Savannah practically drapes herself over him.

I stiffle a laugh at Prince Percy's uncomfortable expression. He catches my eye across the room and gives a small smile. Then he turns back to Savannah and they begin to talk.

I feel my cheeks go red when he looked at me. Silena elbows me a little.

"I saw that! Oh, you two would be cute together! I can just imagine what your children would look like-"

"Silena! I haven't even met him yet. Besides, there are thirty four other girls, why would he be interested in plain old me?"

Before she can give me a speech about how our kids would look, the prince calls her name. She jumps up with excitement and practically runs over.

Savannah comes back, not looking as confident as before.

"Not go as you planned?" I ask her.

"Shut up, Chase. My love life is none of your business."

"More like a wished love life," I mutter.

"What?" She asks sharply.

"Nothing."

"Annabeth Chase."

I give Savannah a last smile before standing up and walking over to him. Silena passes me and gives me an encouraging smile. As if I'm nervous about talking to some guy. Who cares if he's the prince. He's just a guy.

"Hello, Miss Annabeth. Please sit down."

His practiced formality almost makes me laugh. Almost.

"Thank you, your highness."

"Don't. Don't you dare call me that. I am not your highness or his highness or that highness or nothing. I'm just Prince Percy."

"My apologies, just Prince Percy."

He laughs, startling me. I smile at him and I notice that he is a white mark coming from his chin. I try to ignore, but it just won't disappear.

"So, what do you like to do at home, Miss Annabeth?"

"Uh, I want to be an architect when I'm older. And I like to weave and read. Nothing really exciting. What about you?"

"You know what, not one single person has yet to ask me that question! It's all been 'Oh I love dresses and pink and stuff! Let me tell you my life story!' It gets quite annoying."

I laugh at him, causing a few people to look over at us. I ignore them.

"What about me? Hmm, well I like to sleep. That's always a fun activity."

"You must have slept good last night then."

He looks confused. "What do you mean by that?"

I feel my face go red. "Well, um, it looks like you drool in your sleep. There's still a little."

Prince Percy brings his hand up to his mouth and wipes it away.

"You were honest with me. And to think I sat here with drool on my face and not one person told me. These despicable human beings! Well, that's all the time I can spare, but I would like to meet you again soon, Annabeth. What about tonight at the gardens? But don't tell anyone, I'm not supposed to go on a date with anyone yet."

I cross my arms. "Are you asking me on a date, Mr. Jackson?"

His face turns a little red, which surprises me. "Why, yes I am. And the answer?"

I give an exaggerated sigh. "I suppose, since I have nothing better to do."

"Excellent. Meet me there at eight tonight. It was a pleasure meeting you, Miss Chase."

"And you, Mr. Jackson."

I stand up and walk back to my table.

I do not like him. And he doesn't like me. I'm a Four, nothing special. He has no interest in me.

I almost convince myself by the way he starts laughing with a girl who has frizzy red hair. They keep talking, way longer than he and I did. He ends it by kissing her hand. She laughs and swats him away.

It doesn't matter. He is so beyond your league, it's not funny. Just don't think about him.

But that was easier said than done.