Chapter 7- Hospital Room And Anger

-Meghan's car-

When I was younger I would've never guessed that my child would be the one to end up in the hospital with cancer. No one plans for that to happen. It just does and when it does your world is shattered. Your whole family dynamic changes. My mom flew in from Florida to help me with Jill while I'm at the hospital. You spend more time in the hospital room than you do your own home. Wednesday meetings are no longer a thing. You miss them because your too tired or your child had a bad day and you can't leave them. And then you begin to feel bad because your giving one child more attention than the other all while trying to stay healthy for the baby growing inside you. But today is one of the days I can't leave. After her round of chemo Kacey was throwing up and could hardly move out of the bed. I sat by her bed with the bucket in my hand all day. She fell asleep about 10 minutes ago giving me a break. I leave the room and stand by the door in the hallway. Standing in the hallway is my new version of going outside for fresh air. I hear feet coming towards me and I look up to see Natasha coming towards me. She hugs me tightly before she lets go.

"How is she?" She asks, looking in through the window that looks into her room.

"She just fell asleep." I sigh.

"I can stay with her while you go home if you want too."

"Are you sure?" I ask, looking in the window with her.

"Yeah. You go home and get some rest. Come back when your ready." She smiles.

I thank her before grabbing my purse. Thank God for good friends.

When I get home Jill is in bed asleep. I let my mom go back to her hotel room to get some rest too since she's taken of my duties. I go up to my room and sit on my bed. It's weird being in here. It definitely isn't the hospital chair that I've grown used too. It's been 2 weeks since Kacey was sent to the hospital and it'll be another month until she's ready to leave. Thankfully it wasn't too bad and she only needs 5 rounds of chemo which is a months worth. After a month she'll be home hopefully and we'll shift slowly back into regular life. I go to my bathroom and hop into the warm bath tub. A relaxing bath is just what I need. I turn on my music and close my eyes.

30 minutes later I climb out of the tub, put on my robe and go downstairs. It's been a while since I was in my silk robe again. It still smells like the last perfume I wore. I turn on the kettle to make some tea. It's a new thing I'm trying. While I'm waiting I look out the window. I hear a knock on the backdoor, knocking me out of my daze. I go to the door and open it to see Josh.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, letting him come in.

"I figured you needed some company." He smiles, pulling me into a hug.

"I was just about to get some tea and watch some tv if you wanted to join."

I pour us up some tea and we sit on the couch.

"How is she?" He asks, shifting through the channels.

"She's okay. Tired but okay." I smile faintly.

"I can't imagine what your going through."

"I never thought I would have to go through it." I admit.

"How's Brad been through all this?"

"He's seen her like once. He says he has to take extra work shifts since he's paying the medical bills."

"A sign he's trying maybe?"

"I doubt it. Brad isn't really the one to try when things don't come easy."

We sit in silence for most of the night. Josh has really been there for us. He took Jill to her soccer when me or Natasha couldnt and he cooked me meals and brought them to the hospital. He's been so helpful. I have my head on his shoudler and were both staring at the tv screen. I glance up at him for a moment. It's so weird sitting on the couch with someone else watching late night tv. Brad is all I've known since highschool. Josh looks at me, our faces inches apart. I make the first move. I place my lips softly on his. He accepts the kiss, moving his lips along with mine. This is probably wrong to say but for a brief moment, everything was okay.

* * * *

I wake up the next morning and bring Jill to school. She was so happy to see me when she woke up this morning. She must've been told I was coming home yesterday because she came right into my room and climbed into bed with me. After I drop her off I go back to the hospital to let Natasha go home. Only 3 chemo's and 3 weeks left until she comes home. I sit on the chair next to her bed and wait for her to wake up. While I'm waiting I get a message from Brad saying that he's gonna take Jill to his house for the night and he's going to bring her in tomorrow morning to see Kacey. I know they'll both like that.

* * * *

The next morning I take a break. While Brad is visiting with Kacey and Jill, I run down to the 2nd floor of the hospital to get an unltrasound. Caring for the baby inside of me is still important too. I get down to the room and I sit on the bed, waiting for the doctor to come. I'm all alone in this. Brad isn't here because someone has to be with girls and I didn't think of calling anyone else. The dotcor comes in and she smiles at me. I lie down and pull my shirt up. She places the cool gel on my stomach and I stare at the monitor waiting to hear the hearbeat and see the baby. Her face goes from a smile to something I can tell isn't good.

"I'll be right back." She says, leaving the room. I begin to panic but I try to keep calm. Something is wrong I just know it. She finally comes back and I look at her. She has a man behind her. He smiles at me and grabs the stick and lays it on my stomach again. He stares at the screen for a moment before smiling.

"Looks like it's twins." He says, looking at me then back at the screen.

"Oh my God." I say, a tear coming out of my eye. Twins again?

"Congratulations." They both say before leaving the room. I come back in a month for another unltrasound. I can't believe I'm having twins again.

I leave the room and see Natasha stood outside my door.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her as we walk down the hallway.

"Brad texted and said you may need someone here. Is everything okay?"

"Actually. I have to tell you something. I have to tell you and Brad something." I smile as we step into the elevator.

We get to the floor the girls are on and go into the room. Kacey is sat up on the bed with Jill while Brad watches from the chair next to the bed. I walk in and everyone looks at us.

"Guess what." I smile, walking over to the bed. I sit down and pull Jill into my lap. "Mommies having 2 babies."

Their faces brighten up with excitement. I look at Natasha and she has a shocked look on her face. I don't even get to see Brad's face because he stormed out of the room.