Chapter 16- Engagements and Fights

-A Month Later-

Today is the day before the girls birthday. I haven't said anything about that day at the store because things went back to normal with me and Josh. He spent every day off with me, came home on time and didn't go anywhere without me. The twins still aren't home but we're getting so close to bringing them home. Brad's mom is coming for the girls birthday, Josh's is too. Mine isn't because she has the whole week of work and she came down last month. I do believe Macy is coming with her little girl and her baby though. Something Brad only told me last night of course.

I'm putting up decorations when Josh comes through the door. He has a huge smile on his face and is holding a bag in his hands. A gift bag.

"What's that?" I ask, stepping down off the chair I was stood on.

"Open it when I'm gone." He smiles. He kisses me quickly and leaves the house again. That was weird. I open the bag and see a dress in there. I pull it out and it's a nice silky black dress. I pull out the note in it and read it.

'Wear this and meet me at the resturant in town. 7:00.  Love you.'

I put it back in the bag, a huge smile across my face. For the first time in a long time I'm going out on a date. Without my kids.

I finish putting up the decorations and then get ready to go to the hospital.

 I walk into the room where their supposed to be but don't see them in there. I begin to panic thinking something is wrong. I feel a hand on my arm and I turn around. It's their doctor. Just seeing him brings me some calmness.

"Where are they?" I ask, trying to calm myself.

"They don't have to be in this room anymore. I'm assuming you didn't come prepared to take them home so you can come get them tomorrow if you'd like." He smies.

"Their ready to go home?"

"We were going to call yesterday but we wanted to keep them over night to be sure."

"That's amazing news." I smile.

Seeing them with no wires or tubes hooked up to them is such a relief. Knowing I can hold them without the heating blankets and having to watch for wires being pulled out is like 100 pounds lifted off my chest.

When I'm done at the hospital I head to the school to pick up the girls. Chris is coming over tonight to watch the girls.He hasn't seen them in a while and plus he volunteered when I called his place looking for Brad. I curl my hair and do my makeup, stuff I haven't done in a long time. I slip on the new dress and look in the mirror. It fits like a glove. I love it. I grab my purse and head downstairs where Chris is standing in living room.

"Their upstairs watching a movie. Go up in an hour and turn the tv off they should be asleep by then." I smile, slipping my shoes off. "I don't know what time we'll be home but it shouldn't be late."

I stop when I see him just stood there smiling at me.

"What?" I ask, looking at him.

"Nothing." He says, shaking his head.

"It's something. Tell me." I ask nervously. I don't even know why I'm so nervous for this night.

"You look beautiful and happy." He smiles wider.

"Thank you." I smile, pulling him into a small hug. He hugs be back before pulling away. "Enjoy your night." 
"You enjoy yours." I smile, leaving the house. 

I get to the restaurant and go inside. I see Josh sat down at a table and I join him. He has my favorite meal ordered and has a glass of wine poured for me. I take my jacket off and sit across from him. 

"What's the point of this?" I ask, sipping my drink.

"We don't get much time to ourselves anymore so I thought it would be nice to have a night out."

"How thoughtful." I smile widely.

Everything is so nice and peaceful. No kids, no people whispering in my direction and no ex husband talk. There's actual table cloths and center pieces on the tables too. And music that isn't the Wiggles. When I'm done my meal and waiting for my dessert to come, Josh goes to the counter to put in a to go order. He finally comes back and lays his hand out for me to hold across the table. I hold it like he wants and he smiles at it.

"I know we haven't known each other long and I know that you had a horrible marriage before but I really do feel amazing when I'm with you." He says, smiling widely. "I hope you feel the same."

"I do." I say, looking into his eyes. There's a sparkle in them that causes butterflies in my stomach. 

"Good." He says, looking at the waiter coming up to us. He lays the piece of cake in front of me. There's words written on it. I read it and it says 'will you marry me?'. I'm in shock. Complete shock. I haven't even been divorced for that long and I'm already being asked to be married again. I have 4 children and this guy still wants to marry me. What do I say? Do I want to marry him? Do I wanna be put through that again? And just a couple weeks ago he was out with my best friend. Without me.

"I... I don't know what to say." I stutter. I don't mean to be rude but I really don't know what to do.

"That doesn't sound good." He says, pulling his hand away from mine slowly.

"No it's just.. I just got out of a marriage and now I'm being asked to go into another one. It's a big choice to make the second time around. I have to think of more than myself here."

"I understand." He pulls a box out of his pocket and lays it in front of me. "Hold onto this. When you make up your mind let me know." He says, standing up and walking out. How come he always does that when things don't go his way? He isn't 5.

* * * *

I open the front door and walk in, Josh following beside me.

"I'm gonna go stay at my moms tonight." He says, walking passed me.

I go into the living room and lay money on the coffee table for Chris. He's sleeping on the couch and looks so peaceful. I pull a blanket over him and wait in the kitchen for Josh to come downstairs. I put dirty bowl into the sink for me to wash tomorrow.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" I ask when he emerges from upstairs. He has his bag hanging at his side and I feel tonight he'll actually be gone for the night. 

"Maybe." He says, leaving the house. I roll my eyes and go upstairs.

I put on my pajamas and crawl into the warmth of my bed. Today started perfect but it definetly didn't end perfect.