Chapter 40- Hospital Visit and The Future

I wake up the morning after getting to my aunts and I go down and make some coffee. Everyone is still asleep so I have plenty of time to myself. Nap times were messed up yesterday during the drive and we went to bed late so everyone is sleeping in. We're the only ones here. My uncle is staying with my aunt at the hospital. I haven't been there to see her yet but I can't wait to go. I grab my cellphone and step out onto the patio overlooking the water. I sit on the outside couch and dial Chris's phone number. He picks up right away but I think I might have woken him up.

"What's up baby?" He asks, sleepiness all in his voice.

"Sat outside waiting for everyone to wake up." I tell him, sipping my coffee. "It's so quiet here, I love it." I smile to myself. 

"Yeah?" He asks. 
"Yeah." 

"You going to the hospital today?"
"Yeah. Aunt Ronda is coming and she's gonna watch the kids for me while I go to the hospital. I can't have them in there with me. I'll probably cry the whole time."

"You know I wish I could be there."

"I do too but-" A cry comes the baby monitor, cutting the call short. "I'd better go. Crying baby to attend too."
"Alright, I'll call you later."
"Okay."

I hang up the phone, chug down the rest of my coffee and go upstairs to get Briella. Soon after her, everyone else is awake. While their all still coming to life I put toast in the toaster to start making breakfast. While their eating I right a list of things Aunt Ronda will need to know about the kids while taking care of them. I'm hoping to be back by the time they get to bed but my aut is a talker. After breakfast I get them all dressed and send the older ones outside to play. When Aunt Ronda comes I get in the van and head into town to go to the hospital. I ask a nurse where her room is and she shows me the way. My uncle is sat in a chair outside the room and her door is shut.

"Is she awake?" I ask, touching his shoulder.

"She's waiting for you." He smiles faintly.

I open the door slowly and walk inside. She opens her eyes when she sees me and smiles a painful smile. I sit in the chair next to her bed and hold her hand.

"I'm glad you came. There's so much I want you to take care of."
"What do you mean 'take care of'? Your fine." I say, looking around the room.

"Your uncle and I are downsizing. That house is just too big for the 2 of us. We're leaving it to you. Sell it, keep it, tear it down. Everything in it is yours except the clothes of course."
"I can't just take your house."
"You can and you will. I don't want your sister or someone to have it. I want you to have it. And if you don't take it Rachel will get it and we can't have that." She let's out a small chuckle and I smile.

Even in the hospital she's still her witty self.
* * * *
We spend the afternoon talking and catching up. Around 8 I got in the van to drive back to her house and it's 9 now and I still haven't made it. I'm just driving through town looking at the different kinds of people this place has. Is this a place I wanna move my kids too? Is this the kind of place I want fix up and sell? Knock it down and build something else? I practically grew up here in the summers and some weekends. I loved this place. Making real life grown up decisions is about the hardest thing ever.

I finally get back to the house say goodbye to my aunt and clean up the mess they all made today. Who would've know little humans could create such a mess. On a night like tonight I wanna sit out on the patio with a glass of wine and just talk to Chris about how my day was but clearly that isn't an option. I haven't heard from Macy and Brad so I'm assuming that their okay and she's figured it out. I sure have. They barely ask about him anymore and I'd like to keep it that way. Of course questions will come on Christmas when he doesn't get them a gift but I'm prepared for that. At least I think I am.

I have my glass of wine like I wanted and then head upstairs to go to bed. I go to the girls' room and walk in quietly, leaning down and kissing each of them. Their long hair is all sprawled out over the pillows. I head over to the next room where Levi is and I sit on the bed next to him and look at him, the light from the hallway illuminating him enough for me to see him. I never thought I would be sat here next to him, feeling love for him. But I do. After a while I head to my own room where the babies are sleeping. I think I can actually hear the pillows talking to me. I pat the bed and the dog jumps up and lays down up by me. Everything is peaceful but yet empty. We're spending tomorrow here and then going back home. The girls have school and I have work. Plus she's getting out of the hospital the day we leave anyways. I close my eyes and try to sleep but I can't. The future is happening so fast. Everything is happening so fast. And funny thing is, I'm ready for it know more than ever.