Chapter 26- Night Out and Memories

*Brad's POV*

Waking up in a bed next to someone who isn't Meghan is still weird to me. I don't think it'll ever sink in. I don't think it will ever become reality. Having Macy's daughter run into the morning yelling for her mom instead of it being my girls is something I hate hearing. Yes I love them both but it's different when it's not your own. Something just seems off about it all. I roll off the couch, beer cans coming down on the floor with me. I fell asleep in my man-cave last night so there's no way Macy will come in to see me. She doesn't come in here, hates all the hockey shit I have up around the room.

"Do you really need all this stuff?" Macy asks, placing a box on the floor of the empty room. This is the room that will be my space. A place to watch the game and a place to relax after a long day. Mini fridge and everything.

"Can you not judge and just help me." I say, looking at her.

"Fine, I'm just saying. There's rules with this room." She says, putting her hands on her hips. "Keep the door closed at all times and don't have the tv too loud on game nights."

"Rules for you too." I say, folding my arms. "No coming in. At all. And when the games on don't bother me."
"Good with me." She replies, turning around and leaving.

I pick the bear cans up off the floor and place them in the garbage can I have in the corner. The smell of alcohol is still on me so I spray myself quickly with some axe then leave the room. Macy is already gone so it's just myself. I go up to the room to shower before work. I can't call in sick. As a police officer I don't have that luxury. When I'm done in the shower I put on my uniform, grab my gym bag and head out to the truck. Off to another lazy day at work.

* * * *

*Meghan's POV*
Tonight I'm going out. I haven't done it in a while, tomorrow I have a day off and the babysitter has agreed to come watch the kids. I, of course, have to put them to bed first. While the twins are upstairs getting dressed for bed, I finish cleaning up from supper. Having a clean house when I wake up is something I love. Waking up and knowing I have to clean just ruins my day completely. When the kids are in bed I get ready myself. I put on a black dress with a pair of flats. Heels just aren't an option anymore. I leave my hair down and straightened. I sit down on the bed and wait for the babysitter to come knock on the house door. I always tell her to come on in but she never does. She's a 19 year old who's going to college for Early Childhood Education. I think it's a good suit for her. She matches with the kids really well. I've never had a problem with her. I hear the knock on the door and go down to answer it. She's stood with a smile on her face and she's got a friend with her. 

"Is it okay I brought a friend?" She asks, stepping inside. "It was sorta a last minute thing."

"Of course it's fine. Just no more than you two." I smile, leaving the house. "You know the drill by now. Any emergencies you have my number." I say, turning to the door. 

"Have fun." She calls out as I walk away. 
"You too." I yell back. Time for a night of fun.

I walk into the bar and the music is playing and it's loaded with people. I miss this life. I never had much time to do things like this because I was pretty much with Brad half my life. Going to a bar and having a drink alone isn't something I can remember doing.  I sit down at the bar and order a glass of pepsi. Gotta start off slow.
After 3 pepsi's and 30 minutes of sitting alone someone sits next to me. I look over and see the familiar face of Chris. 

"Pepsi?" he asks, chuckling.

"I just can't bring myself to drink." I say, rolling the half empty can in my hands. "Wine is my thing now but I feel like a pussy drinking wine in a bar." 

"I can understand that." He says, signaling the bar tender over. "Too bad the rest of us aren't here." He says after ordering a beer.
"You mean Brad." I say sadly.
"Yeah, admit it, you miss him too." He says, nudging my arm.
"On nights like this I do. But only for the company he gave me."
"Don't we all."
"Enough sad crap. Lets go dance." I grab his hand, pulling him out to the dance floor and we start to dance.

I'm so glad I did this.

* * * *

When the end of the night comes Chris and I go our separate ways but not without saying goodbye. The outside of the bar is lined with taxi's getting ready to take people home.

"I had fun tonight." I say, shoving my hands in my coat pocket.
"So did I." He smiles.
"It felt almost as though nothing changed. Everything normal."
"Yeah, too bad it couldn't be like that for real."
"Yeah, I know."
"Do you ever... Yano..." He stops.
"Wish we were still together?" I finish for him.
"Yeah." He says shyly.
"To be honest. I'm happy with the way things are now. I have a completely different and better view on life now." I shrug.
"True enough. Well I'm gonna head back and check on Brad."
"You sure?" I ask, unlocking the van.
"Yeah. I haven't seen him in a while. Gonna be nice to catch up."
"Okay well drive safe." I smile, hugging him quickly.
"I sure will. You be careful too." He says, turning and going the opposite way. 

I get into the van and pull away from the busy place. I'm on my way back to the quietness of my house finally. While I did enjoy tonight I won't be doing it again for a while. I reach the familiar road that leads into the residential area of the city and I turn the music up a little. I get to a four way stop and so I stop. I see a car coming in the other direction but I know I can make it. I take my foot off the gas and roll my way forward. That's the last thing I see.