Chapter 38- Christmas and A Job Trip

Trying to figure out what to get kids for Christmas is hard. Everyday they want something new that they see on tv or in the store. I mean I can afford the things they want it's just a matter of getting the right thing. Now with Levi added, I want his first Christmas with us to be one he remembers. It's also the babies first Christmas so it's gonna be special for them too. Even though it's still a month away it's time to start shopping. I have more than my kids to worry about.  I wake up at 7 to get the girls ready for school but I have some time to laze around in bed until they wake up. Levi is in bed in the girls room. He's been sleeping in one of the girls beds and Jill has been sleeping with me. Chris has been sleeping in the guest room and also at his own apartment with Levi. Briella is in her crib in her room while Kyson is also in bed with me. He loves sleeping with me. She's so independent. She loves sleeping by herself and trying to do things on her own even at 5 months. I turn the tv on a low volume and grab my phone. Jill and Kyson are still asleep so I'll let them rest.

M: When you get home we gotta put up the Christmas decorations.
C: Okay. I'll be home around 6 so we'll see.
M: 6?
C: Long story.

I lay my phone down, push the blankets back carefully and walk downstairs to get a cup of coffee, Kyson in my arms. I didn't wanna leave him upstairs alone with Jill. Mainly because she would forget he's there and leave him. I hear a knock on the door so I go to answer it. Who's gonna be knocking on my door this early in the morning? I open the door and see my neighbor stood there with something in her hand.

"I hope I didn't wake you." She smiles at me.
"No no. You never." I smile.
"Oh good. Here, this is for you. My husband told me you have quite the amount of kids." She says, holding a gift bag out. "Something in there for each of them."

I take the gift bag out of her hands. The damn bag is bigger than Levi is. And how does her husband know I have so many kids?

"Thanks so much." I quickly hug her.
"If you need anything else don't be scared to ask." She says then walks across the yard, across the road and to her house. No ones lived in that house since we got here. I used to think it was abandoned but I guess it's actually sensible to live in. I knew it was too nice to be abandoned.  
I go in the living room and sit on the couch and open the bag. In the bag is some toys, baby lotion, outfits for the babies. Even a toy for Levi. She really went over the top with all this stuff. I put it all in the bag and lay it by the couch. I hear Briella cry on the monitor so I go up and get her. I get her dressed, get me dressed, pack all the lunches, make breakfast and  load them all up in the van. After dropping the girls at school I decide to bring the Levi to the playground. He loves it. He's running around on everything and laughing. It makes me happy. I can't wait until the twins reach that age.  

* * * *
6:00 rolls around and Chris still isn't here. I decide to put Levi in the bath tub while the babies are finally in bed and the girls are in the playroom. I'm just getting him out when the front door opens and shuts. 

"Chris?" Levi asks, slipping one of his arms through the sleeve of his pj shirt.

"Sure is." I smile, pulling his shirt down over his body. 
"Can see him?" He asks, sitting on the bed. 
"In a minute." I say, passing him Jill's tablet so he can watch a video.

I get up from the floor and go downstairs to see Chris sat on the couch with his face in his hands. I sit next to him and place a hand on his shoulder.

"Everything okay?" I ask, looking at him. "Came home a little late."
"My boss wants me to go away to some seminar for a week in Florida. Says it'll teach me some new things."
"That sounds fun." I say, taking my hand off him. "What's the problem?" 
"He says if I don't then I could loose my job."

"So you go."
"I just... I just got a son. And you and the kids. I can't leave you all."
"Yes you can. If it means you keep your job then you go. We'll all be here when you get back." I smile slightly.

"I'm gonna go take a shower." He says, standing up and walking upstairs. 

* * * *  

We put up the decorations inside and ended doing the lights outside. This is our first together. I can't help but smile at my little family sat on the couch in front of me watching Frozen. I think the only reason Chris decided to do them tonight is because he needs something to get his mind off leaving for Florida. He leaves in 2 days. Pretty short notice but what can you do. Work is important too.

I sit on the couch next to Chris and look at the tv. He puts an arm around me and get closer to him, letting out a breath I've been holding in. I used to think Brad and I were perfect for each other. Our first 2 kids would be the last, our first house would be our only house and we'd grow old together in a home somewhere by the beach. But now I have a guy who's actually treating me right and 3 new kids to love. I know life doesn't always go as planned and it has thrown curve balls in my direction but I wouldn't want my life to be any more perfect than it is right now.