Chapter 56- No One Told Me

Chris and Todd went out to the club while Leanne and I stayed home and just ordered some wine with room service. We've really bonded tonight. I told her all about my life and she told me all about hers. It's truly amazing how fast you can learn to like someone.

"Did you get the tv working?" I ask, walking out of the bathroom.
"No not yet. This stupid thing just doesn't wanna turn on." She says, hitting the side of it.

I grab my phone and see I have 2 missed calls from mom. She must just be checking in. I dial her back and when someone answers, it isn't her. It's Rachel.  

"Is everything okay?" I ask, going out to the balcony.

"Something happened." She says, her voice shakey on the phone.
"What happened? What's going on?"
"Mom is in the hospital. She.. She has cancer Meg. We thought she had more time but..."
"And no one told me?" I yell.

"Can you just get here?" Rachel asks, sighing.
"I'll try too."

I hang up and collapse to the floor, tears coming down my face. Leanne runs to me and tries asking me what's wrong but I can't even say anything.

"I... I.. I need to go to my mom." I say, trying to pull myself up from the ground.

"Okay okay. I'm gonna go get Chris." She says, standing up and running out of the room.
10 minutes later Chris is stood in front of me, packing our bags.

"So much for a vacation." I say, looking at him from where I sit on the ground.

"Hey." He says, coming over and kneeling in front of me. "It was perfect. Even if it was one day."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah." He smiles. "I think we're all good to go for tomorrow morning."

I stand up and make my way to the bed. I push the covers back and and crawl underneath them. Getting engaged is supposed to be a happy moment. And it was for a while don't get me wrong. But why would my mother not tell me she has cancer?

* * * *

We land in the airport the next evening and take a cab to the hospital. I ask around for my mother and when I finally get the room number and floor we go there right away. I take the turn and see Rachel stood outside her room, looking in the window.

"How is she?" I ask, walking up to her.
"She just keeps asking for you." Rachel says, turning and walking away.

I open the door to her room and go inside, standing next to her bed. She looks so peaceful but so sick.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask, making her open her eyes.
"Well hello to you too." She smiles faintly.

"This isn't funny mom! You came to see me and you never told me. You knew you were sick all this time." I try not to raise my voice.

"Why do you think I came to see you and the kids? And you had so much going on I didn't want to worry you."
"Your my mom that's my job." I say, sitting in the chair by her bed.
"I'm going home tomorrow. I want to spend whatever time I have left in my own house." She says, shifting in the bed.

"I'll go with you." I say, grabbing her hand.
"Just for a little while." She says, closing her eyes and squeezing my hand.
* * * *
When she's asleep I leave quietly and sit by Chris outside the room.

"Mom said she can watch the kids for however long we need her." He says, grabbing my hand and kissing the back of it.

"Tell her I said thank you." I say, leaning on his shoulder.

We sit for a little while longer until Rachel comes back to spend the night here with her. She offered and I feel like going home and showering anyways.

We get to the house and I walk inside, going right up to the guest bedroom and going to the bathroom. I don't hear Chris come upstairs so he must've stayed downstairs.
When I get out of the shower I put on my pj's and go down to the living room where he's sat on the couch. When he sees me coming he moves over and I lay down.

"Quiet place without her here." I say, laying my head on his lap. He strokes my hair and I close my eyes.

"Crazy how fast things change."
"Nothing will change with us though right?" I ask, taking his hand in mine.

"Of course not baby. Even with your crazy life I'll still love you."

I smile, kissing his hand before drifting off to sleep. I still can't believe this is happening right now.