Chapter 64- New Life

-2 Years Later-

"I never thought I'd be able to do this." I say to Macy as I sip my beer. 
"It wasn't easy was it?" She chuckles, sipping hers too.

It's been 2 years since Meghan passed. It hasn't been easy at all. Kacey and Jill are 9 now and ask about her almost every day. Briella and Kyson are 5 now, Levi is 6 and Brady is 2. We're really good friends and she really helps me a lot. I'm so grateful for her.

 "Are you sure you wanna do this?" She asks, giving me a serious look.
 "I need a huge change of scenery." I say, looking at the last box that sits on the counter.  
"If that's what you want then I'll be there to support you. Just not physically." She shrugs.
"I can't believe I'm moving to the middle of nowhere."
"I can't believe your gonna be a farmer." She laughs.

* * * *
Having to give my truck up for a van was pretty hard. I've always been a truck guy but there was no way I was fitting all those kids in truck. Now I have van that perfectly fits us all. I still have the truck of course. It's been driven out to the farm already but it'll probably never be used.
We finally pull down a long dirt road with trees on both sides. The branches hang over the road and the sun shines through just a little. We come to the end of the road and the trees stop. To the left is a large barn with big doors and fences all around it. There's fields everywhere and it's definetly a fixer upper but it's perfect. To the right is the house. This place is really beautiful. It's exactly what I pictured. It has the perfect front porch to watch the kids play out front and a good space for the dog to run. I walk up the front porch and walk inside. All of our stuff is already here. It just has to be dealt with and put away. I walk into the kitchen and see a door which must lead out to the back patio. I open the door and I'm stunned by the view. We have a little pond. Now we just need ducks. Of course, there's grass back there too which the dog can run on and the little kids can play on. I let the kids out and they run around everyone, trying to get a feel for the place. By the looks on their faces they love it. I call Macy to let her know we're here and then start to unpack all of our stuff. Time to start our lives.

* * * *

-6 months later-

We settled in great. The kids all have new friends, I have friends and Macy tries to come see us every month. We have animals on the farm now which the kids love and help me take care of. I took in a 14 year old from the city who was troubled for the summer and turns out he's not as troubled as he seems. He's actually really nice. We have 3 horses, 4 cows, 5 sheep, 7 ducks, 2 cats, 2 dogs and 15 chickens. I'm still in the construction business but only do it in this town. Tonight we're having a bbq for supper out on the back patio with Macy. She came down for the weekend. Kacey, Jill and Brady are playing with the dog down on the grass while everyone else is sat around the table waiting. I'm cooking steaks and wieners on the bbq.
When the food is cooked I lay it on the outside dining table and sit Brady in his high chair I brought out. I sit dow next to him and call out to everyone telling them supper is ready. They coming running to the table, out of breath. I look around the table, taking in the sight before me. Smiles are on all my kids faces as they stuff food on their plates. Even Macy looks happy. 

"You okay?" She asks, pulling me out of my daze.
"Yes. Everything's just perfect." I smile.
* * * *

When the kids are all in bed and Macy is cleaning from the busy day I go out to the front yard and walk across it to the big tree that stands there. We have lights put around it and a cross is at the stump. This is where we spread some of Meghan's ashes. I come out here most nights and talk to her. Yano, tell her about how everything is and how big the kids are getting. I sit down in the chair that sits in front of the place and look at her name written on the cross.

"I don't even know where you to start." I sigh, sipping the beer in my hand. "They asked about you again today and Brady pointed to your picture on the wall and said 'mommy'. I then procceeded to cry." I chuckle. Looking back it was probably stupid.

I'm forever grateful for the moments I had with Meghan. From high school to now she was the best thing that ever happened to me and so was Brad. Without him I wouldn't have the kids I do now or even be where I am now. Our marriage was the one thing in my life that I can say wasn't a mistake.