Chapter 25- Back In Town and Mixed Feelings

*A Week Later*

Getting back into work is something that took a while to get used too but I've got the swing of things now. I got the babies in daycare and when the girls get back to school Chris will pick them all up and brings them back to his house. He's being a really great guy through all this and I'm grateful. I haven't talked to Brad much lately and he hasn't tried to contact he girls. I guess he's busy with work. Being on the police force does get busy certain times of the year. It's 6:00 and I'm just heading out to the van to go home when I spot someone walking down the sidewalk. I'd know that walk from anywhere.

"Natasha?" I call out. She stops in her tracks and turns around to me.

"Meghan." She says, walking towards me.

"What are you doing back here?" I ask, laying my purse on the drivers seat.

"We skipped the honey moon. Didn't really need it."
"So your back in town?"

"Hopefully for good. Don't worry though, we'll keep our distance." She says. I can tell by her voice that she's serious.

"I doubt you'll be able to stop the witch from showing up on my doorstep." I chuckle.
"Meghan. Listen.." She starts. I know where this is going. An apology.

"You don't have to apologize."

"Yes I do. I was stupid."
"So was I." I say, opening the van door.

"You weren't stupid."
"Then how come I never realized what a bad friend you are 5 years ago?" I ask, getting in the van and pulling out of the parking lot. I don't want her apology, I want her to leave me alone.

* * * *
I walk into Chris's house and see the girls sat on the couch watching tv. When they see me they run to me and hug me.

"I missed you." I Jill says, pulling away from my legs.
"Go get your bags. Where's Chris?" I ask, taking my shoes off.

"Upstairs." They say at the same time.

I go up the stairs and down to his room where I know he'll be. I push opent he door and I see him rocking the babies in his arms. I don't know how he picked them both up at the same time but I hope he teaches me how. 

"Long day?" I ask, chuckling.

"They were all pretty good." He smiles, standing up. I grab their carriers from the floor and place them on the bed. We put them in, strap them up and bring them downstairs. When I open the door, there's a woman stood outside. She's in a dress and looks pretty done up. I guess he has a date tonight. 
"I didn't realize you were going out. I could've came earlier." I say, smiling at her and then looking at him.
"No no. It's no bother, really."

We load all the kids into the van and I shut the door. I turn to Chris who looks a little nervous. It is a pretty awkward encounter when you have a girl leaving your house with kids and your date shows up at the same time.

"It's okay that your dating you know." I say, patting his arm.
"What?"
"I know you haven't dated a lot since high school but you can. No ones gonna judge you for looking out for yourself instead of everyone else." I say, getting in the van.

"Same time tomorrow?" He asks, avoiding my good advice. I simply nod and pull out of the driveway. I don't know what it is I felt when I opened the door and seen her stood there. Jealousy? Anger? Happiness? A million thoughts are going through my head right now. I can't have feelings for him can I?

_ _ _ _ 
When I get home I put the girls in bed and the babies in bed. They've began sleeping in their own cribs now and I love it. Having to only listen to the baby monitor is great. I go downstairs, taking the empty bottles from the living room and placing them in the sink. I won't wash them until tomorrow but I just want them out of the living room. I go to the wine cupboard and take out a bottle. I go to grab a wine glass but decide against it. I sit on the couch, turn the tv on and my favorite movie is on. The Maze Runner. Childish probably I now but I just love it. I love them all. 
Around 12 I'm halfway through my wine when I hear a knock on the door. I lay my bowl of popcorn down on the coffee table along with my wine and get up, fixing my hair. I get to the door and see that it's Chris. I unlock the door, opening it and flicking on the porch light. 

"What are you doing here?" I ask, looking at him. He has his tie in his hands and I can tell he just came from his date. 

"Thought I'd stop by and spend some time." He shrugs, avoiding my gaze. 

"Come in." I smile, moving out of the way. I sit on the couch again, pulling the blankets over both of us. I stretch out my legs and lean against the arm rest, placing my legs over Chris'. He lays his arms on top of them along with the popcorn. 

"What are we watching?" He asks, popping some popcorn into his mouth. 
"My favorite movie." I chuckle.
"I should've known." He says, chuckling as well. 

I reach out and hand him the bottle of wine, watching as he takes a sip. I don't know what it is. I'm still trying to figure it out. But there's something about being around Chris that makes me so happy.

And I like it.