Iris and The Ending

"We are officially seniors." Rory said.

       We were walking out of school together, and getting lunch to celebrate. It was just the two of us, Bee, and Ginger, just like old times.

         "We only have a year left of high school. This is terrifying." Ginger said.

        "It's awesome! Only a year, and then I'm an adult who can make her own decisions and do whatever I want. And I can kiss a guy without being grounded for two months." Bee said.

        "So I'll actually be alone for the summer. This is depressing." I said.

        "Stop wallowing in self pity." Rory admonished.

       "So, Rory, you never told us.
Did you get accepted to your fancy camp?" I asked.

        "Well, I actually told Ginger. But yes, I did. Did you really doubt me?"

        I hugged him from behind. "Congratulations!"

       He laughed. "I leave Sunday though. I'm taking the train up to New York. You'll all come and give me a proper train station goodbye, won't you?"

         Ginger sighed. "Not me, babe. I leave for California tomorrow morning."

      "Don't worry, Rory. Bee and I will run along side the train until it pulls into a tunnel and then we'll wave and smile. Just like in the movies." I said.

       Bee nodded. "I should practice the train station goodbye anyway. One of my roles in the future is bound to have one."

         Bee had rocked the musical, by the way. Reviews had said she was the star of the production, literally and figuratively. Bradley had also done very well, but not as good as Bee of course.

        "So, where should we lunch?" Rory asked.

        "Let's just order pizza." I said.

******

         "I'll miss you so much this summer, Iris. Don't forget to text and call me, like all the time. And I already warned him, but make sure you tell Rory to remain loyal at literature camp. I know how those nerd girls can get." Ginger said.

      I laughed. "I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about him. And of course I'll call and text you all the time. We're best friends, and I'll be bored all summer so I'll call and text you all the time."

        She smiled. "Who knows. Maybe something will happen and your summer will be better then you expect."

         "I doubt it." I opened the car door to leave. "Stalk some celebrities for me!"

         She laughed, and it was the last thing I heard before I closed the car door. I walked up my driveway and waved at her.

         "Percy! What are you doing here?" I asked.

       He scowled. "You invited me."

     "No, I actually didn't."

   He was sitting with Molly, petting her absently. "Someone did."

       I sat down next to him and turned on the TV. "If you say so."

       Twenty minutes later, Mom walked in.

        "Percy! What are you doing here?" She said.

        I laughed. "That's what I said!"

      "One of you invited me here." He replied.

       "It wasn't me." Mom said.

     He rolled his eyes and stood up. "Then I'll be going."