Chapter 7:

This chapter is dedicated to @GravityFaller618 Thank you for the vote on the firt book! You're awesome ;) 

Jason

I cursed as soon as I saw the cause of the explosion. Shadows were filing into the building, hundreds of black clad assassins all surging forward... towards us.

I saw Bruce lower the phone from his ear before turning to us with an angry expression. He said one word: "Run!"

And that was all I needed before jumping into action. Grabbing Razel's hand, I began dragging her towards the elevators. "What about Bruce?" she asked, trying to pull away from me.

"He can handle himself," I replied. Thankfully, the elevators dinged open and I got us inside. Pressing the button for the top floor, I finally let go of her hand to grab my phone. I immediately made a call, the owner picking up on the third ring.

"He-"

"We're being attacked by Shadows at Wayne Enterprises," I growled before Dick could even finish his greeting.

My goody- two- shoes brother let out a curse, and I heard Asteria's worried voice in the background. "We'll be there in a few," Dick finally answered before the line went dead.

I sighed. "We may not have a few minutes," I said into the static before pocketing it. "Are you okay?" I asked turning to Razel. She had a frown on her lovely face, looking equal parts scared and frustrated.

"I'm great," she replied sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "It's not like this is the third time in a row I've been in a situation like this. And what the hell are Shadows?" For the first time since I met her, I saw fire burning behind her brown eyes. I couldn't help the amused look I gave her. As if realizing what she'd said, her cheeks tinted with pink. "I'm sorry," she apologized in a calmer voice. "I'm just scared."

Taking her by the shoulders, I looked into her brown eyes deeply. She stared back at me, her lips parting in surprise. "I won't let anything happen to you," I promised. But, of course, that was the time the elevator decided to stop.

The abruptness of the action made the lift shake for a few seconds, as if there was an earthquake. We staggered as we lost our balance. "They must've cut the power," I pointed out with a sigh.

"Who are they?" Razel asked, barely able to see me in the dark. Luckily, there were emergency lights on the elevator, and they flickered open. "And why do you seem to know them?"

"Trust me," I said with humor as I looked up at the ceiling and tried to locate the escape hatch. Upon finding it, I walked towards it. "You don't want to know. As for your second question, it's confidential."

As I answered her question, I raised myself on my tip toes to push the hatch. With a forceful thrust, it gave way and I pushed it open. Grinning at Razel, I offered her my hand. "Up we go," I ordered.

She took it reluctantly as I pulled her towards me. I tried not to let the softness of her skin distract me. Especially when the Shadows could come in at any second. "You're not some secret spy are you?"

"No," I replied with a snort. Secret spy? That was a recipe for a bad movie. Taking her by the waist, I earned myself a surprised gasp and smirked. Ah the effect I had on women. Okay, Jason. Focus. "Relax," I told her as her breathing hitched. "I'm just going to lift you, okay? Pull yourself up when you can grasp the edge of the hatch and climb out."

"I don't know if I can do this," she admitted in a shaky voice.

I smiled reassuringly at her. "You can. Besides, I'm here to help."