Chapter 21

This chapter is dedicated to pupluvs  :) Thank you for adding "Out of My League" to your reading list and all your supportive comments :* 

Jason

Bruce looked absolutely serious when we entered the office Asteria showed us to.

Well, okay. Bruce always looked serious. But even standing by the doorway, I could feel the tension and stress rolling off of him. The large desk looked small compared to his presence, as he sat forward with his elbows resting on the surface of the polished wood. His light blue eyes snapped towards us I swung the door open, and I wanted to shrink back. Don't get me wrong. I usually had nerves of steel, but when Bruce was like this- all riled- up and tense- there was no telling when he might explode.

Razel could probably feel the tension as well. She looked like she was reluctant to enter the office, especially having seen Bruce scary- calm once before. Still, I had to show her that even if Bruce could be pretty intimidating most of the time, he was actually pretty harmless. Scratch that. He wasn't harmless unless you were a criminal. In which case, you better flee and hide, because there was no stopping the Batman if he came after you.

With a deep breath, I grabbed Razel's hand and stepped in, gently pulling her behind me before I shut the door. Bruce didn't say anything. Then again, he rarely did. He simply watched us with those intelligent and intimidating blue eyes as we approached the desk and took the seats in front. In any other situation, when I wasn't about to go off on a suicide mission and when Bruce was on his better moods, I might've laughed. It almost felt like attending counseling with Razel or something.

"We need to talk about the mission," Bruce began brusquely, not bothering with pleasantries. Goodness, I hope he isn't like this when it comes to dealing with business at Wayne Enterprises. No one would want to associate with him if he is.

"Well, hello to you too, Bruce. We're having a great day, thanks for asking," I replied in sarcasm, leaning back into the plush chair I was seated on. Razel's brown eyes widened at how I addressed Bruce, knowing he was serious. But if I didn't try to lighten the mood, the tense air was going to choke the life out of me before Shiva could even try.

Bruce's lips drew down into a frown of disapproval. "We don't have time for pleasantries, Jason. Not when I have to figure out a way to keep you safe."

I snorted, sitting straight up after he spoke. "Safe isn't in our vocabulary, Bruce. Not with the life we live. After eight years, I'd think you would know this by now."

"You're right," he agreed, surprising me. "We're never safe. In fact, we constantly risk our life. But that doesn't mean I can bare to see you die a second time."

I was even more surprised now. If Bruce thought there was a possibility that I wasn't coming back from this mission alive, then things must've been really bad. I was way in over my head. And I wasn't going to survive facing Shiva. Plus him openly admitting his feelings and letting his emotions show was something he didn't do often, and it threw me that he would do so now.

Trying to shrug off his seriousness and act as nonchalantly as I always did, I replied with my usual level of sarcasm. "Really, Bruce. Your faith in me is astounding," I said dryly.

I felt a hand slap my shoulder, making me jump in surprise more than in pain. I turned my attention to Razel, who was sitting in the chair next to me. There was a fierce expression on her face, and I realized this was the first time I saw her mad. She was glaring at me. "Be serious. Bruce is trying to help," she scolded.

I raised my hands in surrender and turned back to Bruce, who was watching us now with a curious expression. "I'd ask you to explain what's going on between the two of you, but frankly, we don't have the time. So, here's the plan..."