Chapter 22

This chappie is dedicated to @_bubblegum_smile_xx  Thank you for all the votes! Enjoy!

Asteria

I watched as the punching bag went flying into the wall and fell to the ground.

Dick was still dressed in his Nightwing suit, his dark hair plastered to his face due to sweat and his breathing hard. I had been watching him for some time now, as he tried to take his frustration out onto the piece of gym equipment. My heart constricted with worry, considering I'd never seen Dick this angry before.

Deciding that I had given him enough space, I pushed myself away from the doorway and carefully approached him. He turned at the sound of my footsteps, and the angry scowl on his face melted away and was replaced with anguish. The look on his face told me no words would suffice, so I simply opened my arms and engulfed him in a hug.

My arms went around his tall frame, holding him close and offering him comfort in the best possible way. His breathing slowed down until it went back to normal, and he still didn't let me go. I felt his hands tighten around the back of my shirt, as if he was afraid that he'd lose me, too. I buried my face in the crook of his neck, inhaling his scent. He gave a soft sigh in return. I didn't even notice as we carefully slid down onto the floor and ended up sitting there. We switched positions, so that I eventually ended up in between Dick's legs with his chin resting on top of my head. I held onto both his hands as he placed it on my flat stomach.

"This is all my fault," Dick whispered, finally breaking our non- verbal communication.

I tried not to sigh in exasperation, knowing somehow that this was what was bothering him. I looked up at him instead and tried to see behind his domino mask to the deep blue eyes I loved so much. "And how do you figure that?" I challenged, my eyebrows furrowing.

"You heard what Ja- what he said," Dick replied. "He knows me, and I have a good guess as to who he is, too. He's taking his anger out on Jason, when it's me he hates."

"Who is he?" I asked with a frown. Somebody actually hated Dick? The idea seemed so preposterous to me, because even I had grown to love the idiot after only a few months of knowing him.

Dick sighed, almost like he was reluctant to tell me or bring up the memories. "He goes by the name of Shrike nowadays, but back when I knew him, he was called Boone. I was working undercover in an academy for assassins then, and we became friends. Unfortunately, when he found out what I was- who I was- he believed I betrayed him. And maybe I did. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten close to someone while working undercover." Even with his mask on, I could see the pain written clearly on his face, and now I was thankful I couldn't see his eyes. Because I knew the pain I'd see there would make it me feel even more helpless than I already felt. "I don't just blame myself for what he's done to Jason. I blame myself for turning him into this. For pushing him to become a ruthless killing machine."

I shifted so that I was kneeling in front of him and carefully placed my hands on either side of his cheeks. "Listen to me Richard John Grayson," I began in a no-nonsense voice. "What's happening to Jason right now is not your fault. They tricked us, okay? And Boone, he made his own choices. You didn't force him to do anything Dick. He could've decided to go a different path, regardless of the things that happened. Please stop blaming yourself."

"I can't help it," he whispered, sounding completely dejected. "I just feel so responsible."

"I love you, but I swear to God, you're so stubborn sometimes," I muttered in annoyance, causing Dick to finally crack a smile.