Chapter 10:

This chapter is dedicated to @The_Black_Cat Thank you for your vote on the first book <3 I appreciate even the little things, and I hope you know it. This is for you! :) 

Jason

I was staring at the huge pile of files on top of the desk in front of me.

Even after all the research, I couldn't find anything on that damn asshole- Jared! Sighing, I threw down the folder I'd been clutching just as the door opened. I looked up to see Asteria with an unsure expression on her face and a tray of cookies and milk in her hands. "I thought you could use a break," she stated sheepishly, still standing by the door.

The morning's events came rushing back to me, and I felt guilty. Tim had informed me of Asteria's reaction as soon as I left the dining hall. And let's just say Dick wasn't so happy about it either. Offering her a smile, I got up from the desk to help her carry the tray. "Thanks," I said as I took the tray from her hands. "Come on in. I could also use someone to talk to."

"Okay," Asteria said, her confident smile returning. She took a seat on one of the armchairs surrounding a small coffee table, and I took the seat across from her. Asteria had changed so much since her first time with us. For one, she was a lot calmer around us. She wasn't so defensive anymore. Admittedly, I had gotten closer to her and told her about my past, somehow feeling like she would understand. And she did. Which was probably why she was also always so concerned for me.

"Did Alfred make these?" I asked, turning to the cookies and grabbing one. Chocolate chip. My favorite. Yum.

Asteria grinned and also grabbed one. "Actually, I made it. He just told me the recipe."

Now I looked at the cookie dubiously, wondering if Asteria's baking skills were on par with Alfred's. Then again, Alfred's waffles were questionable, so maybe that wasn't such a good comparison to make. Still, I decided to give it a shot, since Asteria was munching on her cookie without a problem. I took a bite. "Wow, this is really good!" I blurted, my eyes widening. They were really good.

"Thanks," Asteria said with a beaming smile. "I burnt a few ones before I got them right."

I laughed at her admission. "You didn't have to go to all that trouble."

"But I wanted to," she argued, a pained expression seeming to cross her features. She placed her cookie back down on the plate and turned to me with sad grey eyes. "Jason... about this morning-"

"Tim told me about it, Asteria," I interrupted her. If she was going to apologize, I wasn't going to let her. She didn't do anything. Asteria was one of the few people I could actually admit I cared about. I didn't like knowing she was hurt. "I'm sorry if I made you feel bad."

She snorted, making me raise my eyebrow. Yup, this was more like the Asteria I knew. I couldn't wait for her to give birth so she wasn't so emotional. "I came here to apologize and now you're the one doing it. Jason Peter Todd, you're unbelievable."

I smirked at her words. "That's what all the ladies say."

"Oh my god! You sound like Dick!" she complained, before laughing. She seemed relieved now.

"Except I'm sexier," I added.

She shook her head, but she was still smiling. Her hand shot out to grab her cookie, while I took another one from the plate. We were quiet for a while, just lost in our thoughts. "We can think of another name if you don't like the one we came up with," she finally said, breaking the silence.

I looked at her to see she was staring at her lap while she fidgeted with her hands. She knew this was a touchy subject for me, and that's probably why she was uneasy. Swallowing, I hoped my voice came out steady. "Its fine, Asteria. It's your baby. You get to name her- or him- what you want."