Chapter 25:

Bruce

I watched Dr. Palmer and Victor roll an unconscious Jason into the Operating Room.

Most of the team had gone off to change out of their costume, but some remained with me to wait for the news on Jason. Asteria, Artemis and Jade soon came to join us. Dick immediately went to Asteria, wrapping her up in his arms. I realized this was the first time they didn't go on a mission together. I'm sure they were both relieved to see each other safe and sound. Artemis and Jade also reunited with Wally and Roy quietly, while Damian was bandaging up some of Barbara's cuts beside me. Tim and Cassie disappeared a few seconds ago to get some food for us. As I stood by the doorway, watching my family interact, I hoped that Jason wouldn't be leaving us again.

God, if you're listening. Please. Please, don't take away my son again. I buried my face in my hands, thoroughly frustrated. Once again, I was so close to saving Jason. I hoped this time, I wasn't too late. He looked pale and lifeless during the ride back onto the Watchtower. Even though the Bioship had a well- equipped medical center, it didn't change Jason's condition. He had a lot of bruises, broken bones and great amount of blood loss.

"Where is he?" came a frantic voice, making me glance up. Razel stood in front of me, her brown eyes wider than usual. She wasn't her usually composed self. Her hair was in disarray, and her clothes were wrinkled.

I pushed myself away from the wall I was leaning on and approached her carefully. "We just got back from the mission," I replied gently. "Jason was unconscious when we brought him in. He's in the operating room right now."

"Why didn't anyone tell me?" she demanded angrily, fire blazing in her brown eyes.

"We're sorry, Razel," I said. In all honesty, I had forgotten she was here.

She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. Then she pushed past me and headed straight for the Operating Room. "I'm going in there," she grumbled.

Asteria stepped forward to stop her, but I held my hand up. "Let her," I told Asteria. She looked up at me with her grey eyes before nodding.

I sighed and went back to waiting. After a while, Dick disappeared from sight and Asteria went to join me. "Where did Dick go?" I asked.

"I just told him to go change out of his clothes. Jason will be in there for a while," she replied. "Maybe you should go change, too."

"I'm not leaving," I said, a note of finality in my tone. Nothing would be able to move me from my spot. Nothing. Not until Jason came out of that Operating Room.

Asteria held her hands up in surrender and leaned on the wall beside me. We were silent again for a while, although I could tell she wanted to say something else. Finally, she spoke. "Dick told me what happened. What Jason did to Shrike."

I shut my eyes as the memory flitted through my mind. Jason standing over Shrike, lowering his gun. But then something changed. Something made him pull the trigger, and I didn't stop him. I couldn't. I opened my eyes when I felt someone wrap their arms around my waist. Asteria was hugging me, and for the first time, she looked her age. It was easy to forget sometimes that Asteria was only nineteen. She acted so much more mature. "Don't be mad at him," she told me, her voice muffled. "And don't be mad at yourself."

She pulled away, once again looking at me with the full force of her grey eyes as she waited for my response. "What should I be feeling then?" I asked her, instead of telling her she was right. I was mad. For some reason, I felt like I failed. I failed Jason. Again.

"Try to be understanding," she replied. "For both of your sakes. You have to remember that Jason is still adjusting to this life again, Bruce. For so long, he was used to killing his enemies. You can't expect him to change overnight, especially not when his family is put in danger."