Chapter 23

This chapter is dedicated to okaygrayson ! Sorry I took so long in uploading this! I hope you enjoy it though! 

Asteria

"No," Superman and Dick said almost simultaneously as soon as I finished telling them about my plan. Dick looked at Superman, who gestured for him to go on.

We were currently in the conference room, and all the seats around the mahogany table were occupied. By 'we', I mean Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Zatanna, Doctor Fate, Atom, Green Arrow, Black Canary, and the whole Batfamily, including Dr. Anders. Dick was seated beside me, and I waited patiently for what he had to say. I already had a feeling he wouldn't be liking the idea. "You are not going anywhere near Talia or White Ghost, and you are most definitely not performing any magic while you're carrying our child," he dictated, crossing his arms over his chest. I could feel his glare, even though I couldn't see his eyes under the domino mask he wore.

There were some sounds of surprise, and we turned to see the appalled look on the faces of the other members of the Justice League. Oh right. We hadn't had the chance to tell them yet. Guess the cat's out of the bag now. Dick also seemed to notice and gave them all a half smile. "Yeah, we're expecting our first baby soon," he addressed them before turning back to me. Whoa. Hold up. First baby? So he was expecting more? We definitely needed to discuss this after we go rescue Jason. "We don't know how your magic could affect the baby."

"And we're not even going to consider releasing the Al Ghul siblings back out on the world," Superman added coolly and pierced me with his righteous blue eyes. Man, he was huge. It was really intimidating. He looked like he could crush me with one fist, and he probably could.

"I say we should get back to searching for Jason and storm the place they are keeping him," Wonder Woman suggested. "This meeting is a waste of time. That Jared person will be making contact with us soon."

Wow. Why do I get the feeling she didn't like me very much? "We're not releasing the Al Ghul siblings back on the world," I said with a roll of my eyes. I knew that doing this to Wonder Woman may not have been the best idea. But, hey, she just called my plan a waste of time. And secondly, I was pregnant, and my hormones made me do impulsive things. "That's the whole point of casting the spell. To make sure they can't cause any more trouble or get near any of us."

Wonder Woman glared at me, but I didn't back down. She may have been an Amazon, but I was a very hormonal assassin. She so did not want to mess with me right now. "And how do we know we can trust you? What if this spell is nothing but a fake? You were working for Talia for a long time," she retorted angrily.

"Hey!" Damian reacted, leaning forward in his seat. "Are you calling my sister a liar?" I could only stare in shock, my mouth hanging wide open. It was a bit of a blow that most of them still didn't trust me, even though I was going to be married to Dick in a few months and probably become an official part of this crazy family.

"Let's all just calm down, alright," Dick tried to intervene. "Damian, cool it. And Wonder Woman, I trust my fiancée, okay? She won't betray us." Dick was being polite, but his tone could cut glass. It almost reminded me of Bruce, when he was in full Batman mode. Like father, like son.

Wonder Woman nodded her head in acknowledgment of Dick's words, but she didn't apologize for her earlier statement. Finally, Bruce spoke up. "We'll do the spell," he said quietly, yet everyone heard him and snapped their attention towards him. It was silent for a beat, and then Dick spoke up.