Diamonds In The Sky

The Beginning

My mind began to tire along with my body.  I had no idea how long I had been running without rest.  My surroundings were a blur as I dodged trees left and right.  The only visible object I could make out was the full moon above my head.

I decided that resting for at least a minute would do no harm. Slowly, I slowed down but kept myself alert. My eyes darted around for any strangers or animals but found none. I was alone.

Alone. The word was familiar to me, yet I never found comfort in it.

I sat on the dirt ground under me and gazed up at the night sky. The moon lit up the forest I was in, along with the stars, they illuminated the darkness. The forest was a mess of trees, alive and well. Green leaves reflected the summer season. Nothing seemed to be around for miles which meant that my destination was still a while to go.

I should have been used to this by now, moving from place to place, but every time it got more difficult. I had learned to never make any ties anywhere that I went because leaving would become troublesome. But still, I would get comfortable with the faces I saw though I never spoke with them. I had seen places most people would kill to see, but I am not most people. Twenty-seven states I had lived in, but none impressed me. What impressed me was a home, a family, friends - something I had not known.

Well, that is a lie. At one point I knew all of those things and I hung on dearly to them, but things change. Situations change, people change, and if it is for better or for worse we never really know.

I had met people like myself wherever I went, which was inevitable. They would ask questions, ask my story, and pretend to be interested. They would ask if we had met before and my answer was always the same: “I suppose I just have one of those faces, ya’know”. If they asked my name, I would lie. My name haunted me wherever I went, a constant reminder of the past and who I truely was. Those who were like me once knew everything of my family and I, but after the incident I slowly emerged into the shadows. I did not want to be recognized, but it was inevitable that some would know who I was. That was one reason why I moved around lots, as soon as someone recognized me I would pack all my stuff and leave everything else behind.

It had been about seven years since the incident. Seven years in isolation from those like myself. Seven years running. Seven years running from who I was.

Who I was supposed to become.

As I sat and gazed at the stars above my head, I decided it would come to a stop. I wouldn’t run anymore.

The stars twinkled in contrast to the night sky. My father once told me that those stars that twinkled were about to die, and they, too, would fade into the darkness in a matter of time. He also added that there were some stars that would be around for millions of years, those were the diamonds.

I knew that eventually what happened would happen. But never did I think it would be so soon, and so violent. 

I never thought I would be the only Diamond left.