Diamonds In The Sky - Sanders Luckett (Chapter 7)

Sanders Luckett

I arrived home straight after school, but not before Lilith reminded me of our get-together this weekend. I grinned at the thought of having a Girl’s Night with Lilith.

I had not spoken to Claude after being paired up with him. Though, and I hated this, eventually we would have to speak and actually work on our project. I decided I would tell him that I would do all my work, and he would all of his so we did not have to meet constantly. It did not comfort me having him in my home while we were alone even if he meant no harm.

I sat on my bed looking at the small piece of paper with “Sanders” written onto it. It had been years since I had spoken to Sanders Luckett, son of Meredith and Arch Luckett. Arch was Alpha of the Luckett pack with his mate, Meredith, as his side. Meredith had been pregnant with Sanders around the same time my mother, Celeste, had been with me. He was one year older than me, but would still look seventeen as I did.

My mind wandered to the past as my house stood slient.

“C’mon Viola!” Sanders yelled for me, “Hurry, before we get caught!”

“We won’t get caught stupid,” I yelled to him.

I walked next to him, staring at his golden ember eyes. I was ten and he was eleven. He smile was etched onto his face, showing his perfectly straight teeth. His hair was long and brown-red that resembled his parents’. He stood a few inches taller than I, but still towered over as if he were a giant.

I looked around and the empty forest, listening for my parents and his parents.

A twig snapped in the distance and I snapped in it’s direction. Sanders did the same, hearing what I heard. We stood still, waiting.

Instantly, a colossal brown wolf jumped out circling us.

I tensed up, “RUN!”

Before we could run the brown wolf stood in front us crouching. His ocean blue eyes happy as he teased us.

“No fair, dad!” I yelled at him as I went foward and petted him.

A laugh escaped Sanders mouth as he spoke, “I told you we would get caught if went in the forest.”

“I thought it was a good place,” I muttered, “Plus, daddy wasn’t supposed to be in wolf from! Cheating!”

Sanders turned to the wolf, “Viola’s right, Ven.”

‘It’s not my fault you kids don’t know how to play this game well enough,’ my father laughed as he used his mind-link with me.

I glared at him playfully, ‘It isn’t my fault that my own dad doesn’t know how to play by the rules!’

Sanders grimaced at me as he watched my expression knowing I was arguing with my father in my mind.

At that point my father reached forward and licked my cheek leaving it all slobbery.

Sanders broke into a laugh as I hit him the in shoulder playfully, “Not cool, dad. And you too, Sanders!”

I played with the piece of paper in my hand, wondering if I should call him. What would he say after all this time? I had left, what could he say?

I wanted to hear his warm voice and deep laugh to comfort me.

I lay on my bed and put the paper by my alarm clock. Gazing at the ceiling I wondered if he had changed at all, or if he was still the same old Sanders that made me laugh even when I was furious.