Diamonds In The Sky - You Can't Kill a Dead Thing (Chapter 49)

You can't kill a dead thing.

 (Viola's P.O.V.)

My lungs swallowed the black muck that engulfed my body whole. It felt like quicksand, an endless pit with a hungry stomach wanting to eat everything in it's way. How do I even know how quicksand feels? My arms thrashed over my head before I was restricted. My eyes saw no light anywhere - where my eyes even open? Am I even alive? 

Suffocation. Of everything.

No taste, no smell, no sight, no sound, no touch - deprived of everything that kept people sane. Nothing. There was nothing left. I was a floating voice, an echo left among the darkness meant to be consumed. 

"Viola?" A voice echoed faintly, like a whisper.

 "Viola!" This time it was closer, but muffled.

I began to feel something enclosing around me, something bringing me out from under the metaphorical water I felt I was drowning in.

"VIOLA!" A scream. A deafening scream.

I stretched my fingers and grasped at the substance under them. Pebbles? My breath was slow and it almost seemed like it was afraid to leave my body. A hand pushed on my heart repeatedly, mimicking the rhythm of its soft beat. 

"You can wake up now," the voice sighed in a defeated manner. "Please."

I regained control of my arms and then my feet - moving them slowly to test my strength. Where was I? My eyes opened fearfully, blurry shapes coming into my sight. A face blocked my surroundings. "You're okay, there is nothing to worry about."

Their hand was crushing my chest now and my dry throat found the will to say, "You're killing me right now."

"Sorry!" The female squeaked.

I slowly brought myself to my feet with the help of the stranger next to me, the gravel under my feet making noise. I groaned. It felt like someone had knocked me on the head with a rock - a rock the size of a boulder. I turned to the stranger with a grimace, "Where am I?"

Her brown eyes widened, "We have to go."

"Go? Go where?"

"We just have to go!"

She grabbed my hand and dragged me beside her. "Look around you," she whispered.

I was cautious to turn around. Behind me was the entrance to, well, somewhere. You couldn't see anything past the first couple feet of the entrance - which were illuminated by the sunset outside. The walls were made of stone and the floor was covered with gravel. My hand reached out to touch the stone wall, only to be stopped by a thin arm.

"Don't."

My eyebrows knitted together, coming back to face the girl - well, she couldn't have been more than 16. "Why not?" I questioned.

"You'll die again."

The sunset behind her colored the sky with reds and orange. The trees surrounding us seemed to be endless - like we were in the middle of a forest. If you ignored the stone something behind us, it actually seemed peaceful. I could spend an eternity watching this sunset

"Viola?" The girl shook me, as if to wake me from a dream.

"What?" I scowled.

"You have to snap out of it!"

Snap out of what? 

"We have to go right now, before it gets worse," she pleaded.

 I tried to remember anything, but I felt blurry like in a dream. I knew there was something important that I had forgotten. I felt it at the core of me, a burning feeling like if I didn't remember, something horrible would happen.