Diamonds In The Sky - Normal Days (Chapter 27)

Normal Days

“Viola!” Lilith yelled with happiness as she opened her front door on Sunday morning.

“Hey Lil!” I smiled as I embraced her in a hug.

“C’mon in,” she gestured for me to enter her home, “Mi casa es tu casa.”

A small laugh let my throat as I entered Lilith’s two story home that was painted a light blue color along with white. From the outside her home looked like one of those houses you see on television that belong to those perfect families. They even had a white picket fence along with the very live flower garden, and I swear I heard birds chirping as I walked up the drive way.

I had never been to Lilith’s house before today despite us being close and Lilith coming over to my house many times. Lilith realized this the other day and demanded last night that I come over for a nice day. I didn’t protest because I was eager to have a nice, normal day with all the rush of things that had happened.

Inside her home gave off that feel that a loving family lived here. Pictures of the family were hung on the white walls and everything look decorated perfectly. The air even held the smell of freshly baked cookies. Her living room was large, with a television and stacks of home movies and films. They had a coffee table in the middle of their big brown couches that held an ash tray.

Out of the kitchen walked a short lady with dark brown hair and brown eyes. She looked as if she belonged in the fifties with the adorable dress she was wearing and her long hair curled. Her smile was motherly and she wore no make-up for she was naturally beautiful. She reminded me of Lilith in so many ways.

“You must be Viola!” she exclaimed in the same tone Lilith used to greet me minutes ago.

“Yes,” I smiled, “And you must be her mother, Miss-”

“Oh, call me Shelby,” she winked as she held a plate of fresh cookies in her hands.

“Lilith has told me all about you,” she continued, “And the rest of the town has as well!”

My cheeks turned tomato red as she let out a small giggle.

“Mom!” Lilith pleaded.

“Oh, I’m kidding dear,” Shelby giggled.

Lilith rolled her eyes at her mother and turned to me with wide eyes. She nudged her head to the stairs as if telling me to go on up.

“It was very nice to meet you, Shelby,” I smiled at her mother, “But I think Lilith is trying to get on up stairs.”

“Viola,” Lilith threw a glare at me.

“Lilith,” Shelby softly hit Lilith in a joking way, “No need to make Viola say things for you.”

“I wasn’t,” Lilith lied.

“Hey!” Shelby spoke, “I’m hip! I’m cool!”

Lilith and I both burst out in to laughter as Shelby stood there and rolled her eyes at us.

“Take the cookies, Lilith,” Shelby shook her head at her daughter.

“It was nice meeting you too, Viola!” Shelby continued, “Stop by when ever you want, we’re happy to have you here dear.”

“Thank you,” I told her as Lilith pushed me up the stairs.

Lilith’s room was a lavender color and held posters of bands everywhere. Her room was very neat and tidy, all her magazines in a nice pile and her bed made. Her room looked like a normal teenage room with a computer desk and stacks of CD’s and random bean bags placed down.