Diamonds In The Sky - The Monster Within (Chapter 50)

The Monster Within.

I could feel this electricity pumping through my veins. Maybe it was adrenaline, maybe it was anger, or...maybe it was something else entirely - but I didn't care at the moment. My limbs were sore and my mind was exhausted, the ghost echo of my heartbeat still rang in my ears causing sudden confusion to my body. I felt foreign. I was a ghost. I was a stranger. I was different, to say the least. And it wasn't this squeaky, clean, and new feeling, like somehow I had gone back to shop to get fixed up good and new; No, it was this dirty feeling that at the core of my stomach felt wrong. The mud under my fingernails had dried. I could feel the tiny cracks as the crumbled when I moved my fingers. I could feel everything, the bodies around me and the bodies out on the battlefield. There was a soft ticking noise in the back of my mind. Tick. Tick. Tick. The yells were faint and, yet, they were deafening. I prayed for them to hush.

The soft breeze running through the dense forest outside the Blackmore Estate gently tried to move through my matted, muddied hair. A flash of lying on the dirt floor flashed in my head. My hands couldn't stop trembling. I could see Emerson's vile face. There was still dried blood on my clothes. The sky looked heavenly, with its mixtures of oranges and yellows. 

"I died," I whispered to myself as I glanced at the trees before me. "I am dead."

A sharp breath pierced my rib-cage and I softly scolded myself for not knowing if I had healed already. Could I even heal? I thought to myself with a grimace. as I looked back to Claude's home behind me. I should've asked the Doctor before I vanished after giving them at scare.

A chuckle escaped my lips. I didn't even know what the hell I was, how could anyone else know? It felt like I had come home from a vacation, only to find my house had been rearranged with new items and some old and some completely missing. My skin itched. It burned. It cooled.

I began to rip off the tattered clothing that hung pathetically to my body. A sob left my throat without my approval, and suddenly claws extended where my fingernails used to be. I couldn't feel the dry mud anymore. I dropped to my knees with a painful, sharp breath. My claws grasped the dirt under them and clenched as rage overtook my shock. My panted breaths came only after the transformation began - after my body ripped and my bones broke by my will, letting the animal within come out. 

I ran.

Each claw dug into the million year old forest floor, disturbing the trackless ground. I wanted them to see it. I wanted them to see the tracks left by a creature out for blood. I wanted to leave my mark on the forest where I had lost my life only a day or so ago. 

I skidded to a brief halt when the forest trees been charred and I smelled the blood of fallen wolves. I only stopped for a second before running into the war, enough time to lock onto the scent of the person I wanted most.

Emerson. 

Jaws snapped at each other; growls sounded throughout the forest. Trees had fallen and the sun was threatening to fall all together. It was only until I ventured deeper into the dense trees that I found more ashes, and it was there that I saw the thousands of bodies of my friends and of my foes trying to dominate each other. 

My imaginary heart skipped a beat and I ran in without a second thought, my mind buzzing on the energy around me. A growl erupted from beside me and the sudden high I had gotten from everything was gone. My body was thrown a couple of feet. A wolf bared it's bloody teeth at me and went in for the kill. I jumped back up and growled, snapping my jaw, then finally sinking it into the wolf's neck with a snap. I spat out the limp body and noticed the fabric tied to its hind leg before finally being hit again - but this time it was a vampire with a gash on his face. My lip curled and I began to circle him, crouching around his confused manner. I slammed into his body as he yelled, "What ar-"