Chapter 3

Still nothing.

No calls.

No texts.

Nothing.

It had been two days since I gave Michael my number, and in that time he hadn't called or texted me once, despite saying he would.

I anxiously tapped my fingers on the table, not taking my eyes off my phone, waiting for the screen to light up with a call or message.

My mind began to wander, considering all the possible reasons he hasn't called me.

Maybe I gave him the wrong number.

Maybe he lost his phone.

Maybe he lost my number.

Time passed and still nothing.

Bored of waiting and convinced he wouldn't call anytime soon, I decided to stand up from the kitchen table and go and make a cup of tea. Funnily enough, as soon as I flicked the switch on the kettle, my phone began to ring. I quickly moved back over to the table.

Without bothering to look at the number on the screen, I picked up the phone and put it to my ear.

"Hello!"

"Hi Angie, it's Liz."

I sighed when I heard her voice.

"Hi, how are you?" I asked, trying to cover up for the sigh that would probably have sounded like I didn't want to talk to her.

"Good, listen, the girls were asking if Gabi could stay for a sleepover tonight, I figured it would be alright as it is already quite late."

I glanced over to the clock to see it was seven.

"Don't worry about bringing her stuff over, we've got some spare pyjamas. Is that okay with you?"

"Yeah, sure." I said.

"Okay Angie what's wrong?" She asked.

I only then realised that I had not at all been very enthusiastic when talking to her and that probably sounded quite rude.

"It's nothing, I was just expecting a call from a guy I met at the park, and when you called I thought it was him." I explained.

"Ah, I see, well I'll get off the phone in case he calls and you can tell me all about him when you come and pick up Gabi in the morning."

Before I had a chance to say goodbye, she hung up the phone.

I headed back over to the kettle and finished making my cup of tea before heading over to the TV and slotting in my all time favourite movie.

Remember Sunday

Try as I might, I couldn't stop checking my phone for messages from Michael. After careful consideration, I finally decided to turn off my phone so I could enjoy the rest of the film.

As soon as I did, there was a knock at the door. Followed by another and then another.

I paused the film and headed over to the door.

"Whoever it is has rubbish timing and I swear they better have a good reason for coming to this door so-"

I flung open my front door to see who had interrupted my movie and froze.

"Michael?"